cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay AGAIN!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ebay AGAIN!

I ordered a BRANDED 16sd card from ebay. Advert was very clear about what was offered:-
BRANDED 16GB MicroSD Micro SD Memory Card SANDISK KINGSTON ADATA SAMSUNG SONY

So it arrives and guess what NOT branded, at least it works unlike the last one!
So I open a case and this is the answer:-
"Sorry to hear that you are having problem with your item. please note we only do branded cards and its one of them but some manufacturers do not print logo when they manufacturer these in bulk. please use it and we hope it will work fine as we sold many of these without any problem if any problem please do let us know. "

BULL excrement!
Your thoughts, I am still holding out for what I ordered though.
51 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Ebay AGAIN!

I can't see a manufacturer not branding one of their products unless it's manufactured down to a price for some other use.
I would push for a refund.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Doubt I would ever buy anything from e-bay that was easily copied. Even if it worked how reliable would it be ?
With a number of sellers selling the same or similar items they are going to make the advert as appealing as possible to beat the competition so a few extravagant claims might be made for the item.
Personally I would get a refund. Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's not marked, therefore it's not branded QED 
At best they could describe it as unmarked/OEM and try and convince you that it is manufactured by Kingston/Sandisk etc but, as it stands, you have no proof and it is not what you ordered. 
I'd say you have grounds for a refund but you'll probably have to wait for the eBay wheels to turn slowly Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@'Hairy McBiker' - if your card reader is connected via USB (internally or externally), have you tried seeing what the card reports itself as from a Linux terminal ?
$ lsusb -v

I don't have any SDCARDs to hand to try, with FLASH USB drives I get these types of response -
From a SanDisk "Cruzer Blade" -
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType        1
  bcdUSB              2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass        0
  bDeviceProtocol        0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor          0x0781 SanDisk Corp.
  idProduct          0x5567 Cruzer Blade

although my Patriot "Rage XT" came back as -
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 13fe:3800 Kingston Technology Company Inc.
Device Descriptor:
  bDescriptorType        1
  bcdUSB              2.00
  bDeviceSubClass        0
  bDeviceProtocol        0
  idVendor          0x13fe Kingston Technology Company Inc.
  idProduct          0x3800

So at least my memory sticks (from trusted suppliers) use reportedly branded components, rather than badged branded.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

By eck biker you have all the ebay luck don't you!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Hairy
..., at least it works unlike the last one!
Your thoughts ...

In the past there were lots of cases of Flash Memory sold on eBay not being of the stated capacity - have you checked the one received?
A good utility for checking the capacity and read/write speed of Flash Memory can be found  here for anyone interested in doing just that.  Wink
RichAllen
Grafter

The only time in recent memory I've had a problem on eBay is a few months back, I had to "remind" a seller to send the item I'd bought off her, she delayed a further 2 weeks so I gave negative feedback and she complained.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

@'RobPN' - The program "F3" is probably more relevant ! - seeing as 'Hairy McBiker' is "Registered Linux user #497422"
I would be extremely wary of putting an unbranded USB stick or memory card bought on eBay, into a Windows PC to test with "H2testw", as infected memory devices is one of the most effective ways that Windows PCs get ruined these days.
A while back my son needed a memory stick to take a presentation to school, I didn't have a spare so I got him a nice looking "Star Wars" pendrive of eBay - as the stick looked cool and it had film trailers and other interesting stuff pre-loaded on it.  I thought it was worth virus scanning on my Ubuntu desktop before giving it to him.  It was a good job I did as the stick was full of auto-running trojan installers and other nasties.  Fortunately a full Linux format cleared the offending content, so we did end up with a cool looking and working memory stick.
Roll eyes
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: purleigh
@'RobPN' - The program "F3" is probably more relevant ! - seeing as 'Hairy McBiker' is "Registered Linux user #497422"

You're most probably correct, I don't know the faintest thing about Linux.  Smiley
Quote from: purleigh
I would be extremely wary of putting an unbranded USB stick or memory card bought on eBay, into a Windows PC to test with "H2testw", as infected memory devices is one of the most effective ways that Windows PCs get ruined these days.

You're quite correct again, but in my case I've got 'Autorun' disabled.  Wink
Community Veteran

Yes I ran f3 on it, 100% verified. Unlike the previous one which was a 128Mb one not a 16Gb one.
Tried lsusb on it and it says
  bDescriptorType        1
  bcdUSB              2.00
  bDeviceSubClass        0
  bDeviceProtocol        0
  idVendor          0x14cd Super Top
  idProduct          0x125c
  bcdDevice            3.00
  iManufacturer          1 Generic
  iProduct                3 Mass Storage Device
  iSerial                2 125C20100726
With a Sandisk 2Gb, and much the same for the 16Gb so no clue there. I can't find any other readers at the moment.
So looks like it doesn't read the details from a sd-usb converter.
Community Veteran

Ask the seller what brand they supplied you with as you want to check with the manufacturer if the warranty is still valid on memory products without their logo on Wink
Community Veteran

They don't say, they have offered me a refund, but I am holding out for what I ordered. Checking their feedback they have been sending these unbranded out for a while, most people don't seem to mind  Crazy
I have to wait for 8 days to get ebay into the fray though.
Quote from: 7up
By eck biker you have all the ebay luck don't you!

Most of my purchases are fine, it is just these "bargains" that bite me. But I have mostly gotten refunds from the seller/ebay,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Hairy
Most of my purchases are fine, it is just these "bargains" that bite me. But I have mostly gotten refunds from the seller/ebay,

Lol,can't beat a good bargain mate!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

You might be lucky, in most disputes, eBay tend to side with the buyer.