cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating over Easter

Community Veteran

Eating over Easter

It's Easter weekend coming up. I was thinking about traditional foods that people have for Easter. There is of course the Easter egg and fish is the tradition for Good Friday.  What about Easter Sunday though?  Here in the US Lamb seems to be the meat of choice. I don't seem to think this is the case in the UK Undecided
What will others be eating over the weekend?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Eating over Easter

Anything served to me  Cheesy
No chocolate though, can't physically eat that anymore as it puts me in hospital Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: artmo
  Here in the US Lamb seems to be the meat of choice. I don't seem to think this is the case in the UK Undecided

probably because.......
http://www.manydownfamilyfun.co.uk/what-to-do/manydown-easter-lambing-extravaganza/
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Anything served to me  Cheesy
<snip>

Or
Anything I find in the cupboard(s) that I claim Roll eyes decide to cook
No doubt the kids will end up being sick of chocolate by the end of Easter
That said, will only be short lived after a day or so, be back to normal  Tongue
Devonian
Grafter

Here in the UK, did I mention I was in the UK?  Grin  It''s Turkey surely?
The local Turkey farms are churning them out, the supermarkets and butchers are full of them to.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If I can get away with it I'll be serving the family whatever is cheapest.
Got a leg of lamb at ASDA last weekend @ £4 per kg and very nice it was too, wonder if they fancy will eat lamb again.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the joint of lamb I got from the butchers just before Christmas when it was on the cheap, of course its been frozen since half an hour after I got it home but hey ho the thing was that fresh it still bled when I was deboning it Smiley
love a bargain particularly as I saw the same cut of meat in the same butchers shop on Friday morning for 4x the price I paid Smiley
then again that's why god invented the deep freeze
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

The earlier models were literally death traps
[quote=http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2586/is-it-impossible-to-open-a-refrigerator-door-from-the-inside]Although the story has obviously gotten a little garbled over the years, refrigerators manufactured prior to 1958 were potential death traps--they really were impossible to open from the inside, not because of anything silly like pressure differences but because of the mechanical latches on their doors. Kids playing hide-and-seek would climb into an abandoned fridge in somebody's basement, pull the door shut, and realize too late they were trapped. The door seal prevented air from getting in and the kids' screams from getting out, and in a short time they'd suffocate. In 1956 the New York Times reported that during the previous decade 115 children had died in this way.
nanotm
Pro

that's fridges not freezers.......
Community Veteran

I never buy frozen joints of meat. I think a fresh joint tastes much better once cooked.
nanotm
Pro

indeed however I often will buy stuff take it home trim it up and then freeze it for another time,
the difference your tasting between commercial frozen meat and fresh form the butchers is the sodium dioxide that they use as a preservative before freezing the joint (apparently it prevents the meant from getting frost bite if its stored for more than 4 months in suboptimal conditions)
that's also a good reason not to purchase meat that comes in a sealed packaging, as its generally been "treated" rather than just having the air vacuumed out and then the edges heat sealed......
Devonian
Grafter

Farm shops are the way to go... often cheaper than supermarkets, and the meat is straight from the local farm, the animal has been treated respectfully and has been slaughtered humanely to British standard and NOT halal, and the money stays in the local economy, so we all win.
Although I can imagine a farm shop in Central London or Birmingham being some what difficult to find!  Crazy
nanotm
Pro

that rather depends on where in the UK you are Dev
most places they use centralised abattoirs so there is little difference to buying from a traditional butchers shop or buying from the famers market trade stall
Devonian
Grafter

That's not quite true regards the abattoirs.
Yes, if it is a Tesco or Sainsburys farm for example, all the animals use the same place, but for the independent farms and local butchers, they usually use a local abattoir.  Here in Devon there is a cooperative abattoir in Tavistock that a lot of farms across Devon use.
The good thing about using a farm shop or local butcher, is that they can tell you everything about the meat they are selling you, from the farm it was born on, to the slaughterhouse that killed it, and most importantly, how it was killed.
I know a few farmers who pulled out of supply contracts with Sainsburys and Tesco, due to welfare issues at their Abattoirs, mainly caused by the hidden practice of halal slaughter.
Contrary to the popular belief, the majority of Farmers love their animals, and wont have anybody abuse them.
Community Veteran

I have to say I really enjoyed my lamb yesterday. Rack of lamb glazed in honey and then roasted.  Smiley Smiley