Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eat like a Granny

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Eat like a Granny

Nutrition advice given to Britons during World War II could be the key to improving diets today
Sound advice, which I seem to follow anyway !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2326579/Keep-calm-eat-like-granny-Nutrition-advice-given-B...
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Eat like a Granny

If only we still had fish mongers with piles of herrings for just a few shillings.
Today many of us couldn't afford to "Eat like a Granny".
Maybe if Iceland joins the EU we can raid their waters.
But that isn't going to happen as their recent vote showed their people aren't as stupid as us.
Community Veteran

Many of the cheap staple foods from my youth have now become premium items.
Eggs used to be really cheap - they have gone up and up in price. I bake my own bread but have seen flour prices almost double over the past few years.
The government are harking on at us to eat more fruit and vegetables - I can buy a kilo of Bananas which have come from halfway round the world for 68p but a kilo of Granny Smiths apples are costing £1.90 !?
I fancied making some salad to go with our homemade kebabs (healty low fat) but an iceberg lettuce was £1.20 ! Cabbages and other green veg have all been creeping up in price.
These days it's far cheaper to eat junk than to eat healthily. I find myself continually cutting back on other items so I can feed my family in a healthy fashion.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The retail system adds quite a margin to consumer goods. I get through quite a lot of methylated spirits. The local hardware stores sell a 250 ml bottle of meths for circa £4.00 yet I can buy a 5 litre bottle for about £9 from a furniture restorer.  It is a mark-up on the small bottle in the region of 850%. Food suffers from the same problems, though not so extreme. The price of foods in supermarkets are very much what people a prepared to pay rather than any direct relationship to cost.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I get through quite a lot of methylated spirits.

Can't afford meth's. We  boil and distil potato peelings.......................................now where did I put my glasses.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: journeys
We  boil and distil potato peelings

I'm sure that 'home produced' is healthier as well as cheaper!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Food shops were always so much more interesting places years ago.
Even looking at the pile of herrings you had many choices. How big and the old favourite hard or soft roe. I always preferred soft. Not forgetting a few pennies worth of cod shoulders to feed the cat. I wonder what happens with cod shoulders now? Fish fingers, fish pies and the like I guess.
Then over to the butchers where one of my dear old Mums treats was half a pigs head.
Everything seems over processed now. Even the meat while it's still walking around is stuffed with chemicals.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

Can't afford meth's. We  boil and distil potato peelings.......................................now where did I put my glasses.

I of course refer to my use of meths in a bucket of water with some vinegar to clean windows just like my old Gran taught me. ...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
alanb
Grafter

I use Meths to clean my glasses. Just like the stuff my optician keeps hidden under the counter for 'office' use, while prominently displaying tiny bottles of expensive cleaning fluid for the mugs, err ... I mean customers.
I half litre bottle lasts me two years or more.