Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eat fat to get thin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Eat fat to get thin

Well it's not about eating the fattiest cuts you can buy, it's about eating what is natural, as opposed to trans-fats, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and heavily processed oils...

The idea is that humans evolved as hunter-gatherers, we hunted for food, and feasted when we got it, but could go for days on hardly anything (usually preserved from what was caught), along with foraging for plants that were good for sustenance, we weren't meant to have three square meals a day, or have carb-heavy things like bread, cake & donuts, fast & feast does you a lot better than anything, and the feast part, well, that's where the meaty protein laced with animal fats comes in...

Granted there are those who will drink things like "Bullet-proof coffees", made up of cream, coconut oil and sweetened with non-sugar stuffs, but that isn't what I'm doing, I'm just enjoying things like hot & spicy fried chicken pieces from aldi, snacking on bacon, having chicken thighs from tesco's hot fridge (oven's broke, so can't cook my own at the moment), basically just being a meat eater, but most days I'm just eating once per day, the "feast & fast" thing, and as far as I can tell from the gradual weight loss and general feel of myself overall, it's doing me good... 😊

The whole fat-free thing is what does the damage, as mentioned earlier, they replace fats with sugars, flavours, high-fructose corn syrups, etc., which aren't good for us, because they make you feel more hungry as the body is telling you that the fuel it wants is not in there, so eat more, and more, and more, whereas something like a nice steak can satisfy hunger thanks to the fun hormonal release that fat triggers in the stomach, which tells the brain "This is perfect, I have the fuel I need, I'm not hungry any more!", therefore you eat less, but feel full for longer and don't suffer sugar-crashes like with most off the shelf foods...

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@twocvbloke  you have hit the nail on the head with the word 'processed' - that is the main problem, all the roughage and fibre removed and turned into stuff that hardly needs chewing that is digested too quickly and causes massive overload of sugar in the bloodstream that needs massive amounts of insulin to deal with it and turn it into stuff that gets stored in the liver and causes fatty liver, visceral fat and diabetes... we are so far from our natural diet that we can't see it with a telescope...... the food industry is killing its customers....aided and abetted by the bad information the medical profession is giving us every day.

Experts seem to agree that the healthiest our population has been was during WW2 when all the so called luxury foods were off the menu and people ate a really basic diet..

Apparently the worst thing is ice cream - a mixture of sugar, corn syrup and processed fat that does not occur in nature, contains massive amount of calories and it bypasses our natural mechanisms to tell us we are full and to stop eating, which is why someone can sit down and eat a large tub by themselves in one sitting..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

which is why someone can sit down and eat a large tub by themselves in one sitting..

Which is something I could easily do, though if I tried now I'd probably be sick as a result...

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,069

Here's an interesting in today's telegraph take https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/eat-much-new-science-appetite-tells-us-losing-we...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

I can only remember one kid in our class at school that could be called 'fat' - now I bet

over 50% of them will be classed as 'fat' or 'obese' - It is not so much human appetite

that has changed but the sort of food we get offered these days.   I suggest people check

the ingredients label on their foods, I checked the label on Bran flakes recently, you would think

that just plain branflakes would be low sugar, but it is second on the list ( the ingredients

are listed in order of the amount in the food - so obviously wheatbran is first ) - it is just

over 20% sugar,  which in 100gram is 5 teaspoons of sugar - shocking when the latest

'limit' for adults is 6 teaspoons a day..   Don't even look at Muesli - and 'no added sugar'

on anything is a warning sign.  The sort of highly processed food we are offered toay

bypasses our natural senses, it is so calorie dense that a small amount is too much,

the food industry has us hooked on sugar, salt, starch and hydrogenated oil.

It is almost impossible to eat excess food when it is in its natural state with all the

bulky fibre still in it,  but drink a glass of orange juice for breakfast and you are well

on your way to reaching the recommended adult amount of sugar per day..

https://www.curejoy.com/content/how-much-sugar-does-your-orange-juice-have/

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@dvorak wrote:
Here's an interesting in today's telegraph take https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/features/eat-much-new-science-appetite-tells-us-losing-we...

Nice paywall they have there........

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Is a low fat diet and / or taking statins linked to Alzheimer's 

25% of all the cholesterol in your body is in your brain cells where it is needed to keep everything working properly...60% of brain is cholesterol.

https://healthimpactnews.com/2012/the-clue-to-why-low-fat-diet-and-statins-may-cause-alzheimers/

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Looks like we're even eating the wrong sort of porridge too! And what we make it with or put on it is a minefield too! Clearly were not really designed for gruel, even made with water 😞  https://nuts.com/healthy-eating/steel-cut-vs-rolled-oats

Carbs are fascinating as they mostly convert in to glucose and processed foods mess and speed up that process.

I  have a Fitbit gizmo and when you enter your actual food (and drink) consumption against your energy output, it clearly shows its very easy to eat the wrong stuff and to over consume. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Interesting link, thanks.

We often have porridge in the morning and the Mrs usually adds nuts and stuff to it. Bought loose from a local health food shop I have no idea what type of oats they are so I'll pass that link on to her. 😛

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

We often have porridge in the morning and the Mrs usually adds nuts and stuff to it. Bought loose from a local health food shop I have no idea what type of oats they are so I'll pass that link on to her. 😛

It is only when someone you know has any form of diabetes that most people get to know about GI = Glycemic Index and how the body utilises different substances and how they affect blood glucose - it should actually be more widely advertised as the faster the foods you eat are converted to blood glucose the higher your insulin response and the faster the crash afterwards ( when you start to feel hungry ) - people who eat sweet stuff for breakfast will be hungry again in a few hours and looking for more food, whereas oats and slow digested stuff will keep you full up until probably mid afternoon.

https://www.diabetes.org/glycemic-index-and-diabetes

GI is critical for diabetes control but is also a very good way of losing weight if you can get rid of the 'boom and bust' sugar / high carb cycle and prevent hunger pangs.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

A few years ago some TV doctors replicated, albeit on a small scale, some research that showed that a high protein breakfast, soup for lunch, and a traditional meat and two veg meal in the early evening was the way to go.  They only tried it on a handful of manual workers, but they all claimed not to feel hungry between meals, and did not put on weight.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@twocvbloke wrote:

@dvorak wrote:
... telegraph ...

Nice paywall they have there........

@twocvbloke 

Not sure what you're getting at with that comment ... Wink  Roll_eyes

I've noticed that sometimes it's easy to get around that one, but it may depend whether my computer is on a go-slow or not.

The most reliable method ATM seems to be as soon as the page starts loading, quickly press the ESC key multiple times.  That way the text seems to load OK, but sometimes with no images.  

Highlighted
Community Veteran

THere are ways past the paywall, just have to look at the sourcecode to see the whole article is there, just blocked by an overlay, I just can't be bothered to deal with blocking the code when it comes to certain opinion sites... 😂

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I used to enjoy reading the New York Tmes on line but they only allowed access for a short time before demanding a subscription - so how would I get passed that?

You are right about certain sites though, especially some we are given links to here. I just can't be bothered once they start to restrict access. Suit yourselves I mumble to myself.