cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eat fat to get thin

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Eat fat to get thin

Seems the low fat diet expounded by medical professionals for more than 40 years has caused the explosion of obesity and diabetes we now see,  how could so many people get it so wrong for so long... Seems they got cholesterol wrong as well, it is so vital for your body that your liver makes it and pretty much ignores any cholesterol in food you eat...once again medical science does a U turn with no apology..  statins which cut down amount of cholesterol made by liver have now been linked to alzheimers - seems cholesterol is a big part of our brains, and every cell in your body..

https://www.ecowatch.com/dr-mark-hyman-10-reasons-why-you-should-eat-fat-to-get-thin-1882141535.html

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 118

Re: Eat fat to get thin

I think that you need to read the linked article carefully, especially the description of GOOD fats. Most of us do not think of the majority of these as fat at all.

I'm afraid that a burger a day is not going to cut the mustard!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

I remember a time, about 25 years ago, when it was reported that CORNFLAKES were bad for you,.... and could cause all sorts of digestive problems.... I have Weetabix for brekky ever since ! Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had a mate who always had cornflakes for breakfast and was convinced they were good for him.

The big problem was instead of milk he put whisky on them.

I was listening to someone who was reading the ingredients on various packets. That's got a lot of fat that's got a lot of sugar that's got a lot of...........

I was tempted to say you want the pets aisle as that's where the bags of straw are.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

That article sounds like Atkins diet where you eat the bacon, sausage & other stuff for breakfast followed by steak and other products containing fat for dinner....sugar being the thing to avoid.

I guess half the female population were on that diet at one time.

Diets come and go......if any single diet worked then no need for any other diet.

The secret to diet is simple eat less calories than you burn.

I cannot remember a single overweight person in my class at school including the teachers and I recall egg, bacon, toast etc for breakfast was common in many households in those days.

Highlighted
Hero

@gleneagles 

That's not what it says at all. It says eat avocados, oily fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil etc.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

When they take fat out of things they add sugar, corn starch or artificial sweeteners to make them tasty - there is the problem,  just look at calories in low fat food...you only have to read the label but many just see low fat and have been brainwashed that low fat is healthy and full fat is bad for you. Your body will not burn fat when it has sugar and glucose to go at...

My dad ate all the fat from lamb and pork chops, would even have it off our plates if we left if, was never overweight and lived to a ripe old age.  Myself I will mop up bacon fat with bread and love dripping on toast, blood pressure 120/80 at almost 70..... but eat very little sugar 'empty calories'.....

Pretty much every breakfast cereal you can buy is loaded with sugar, including cornflakes...and many have too much salt as well..  the food industry is making us sick.

Highlighted
Hero

If you want a healthy, low bad fat, low sugar, low salt, diet there's a solution. It's called Home Cooking. It was commonplace once upon a time. Fortunately my SWMBO still subscribes to this outmoded way of life.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@gleneagles 

That's not what it says at all. It says eat avocados, oily fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil etc.

The only bad fats are trans fats, and hydrogenated oils, vegetable oils are too high in omega 6 and low in omega 3 to be healthy..... body will use omega 6 and try to make the things it needs, but it is a poor substitute for omega 3...

We also need animal fats in our diet to be able to process protein properly..

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Why are so many consumed with diet and dieting.

One advantage of having more years behind you than in front (and failing any medical condition) is being able to eat whatever you fancy as no diet in the world is going to make an ounce of difference.

Sure I'm a bit overweight, but that comes with age and I have never ever been on any sort of a diet. A lifetime of breakfast fry-ups (but not so many these days granted) never been keen on obvious fat so sliced it off, and have always liked and eaten most foodstuffs.

So what's the worst way to leave this life... by choking on a bacon sandwich not having finished it. 😊

Carrying extra pounds and want to lose them? Here's and idea, don't eat so much!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@gleneagles 

Opps!

That’s what happens when you eat the wrong stuff....

You read the stuff wrong.

😟

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/are-vegetable-and-seed-oils-bad#what-they-are

Most vegetable and seed oils are bad because they have far too much Omega 6 and

not nearly enough Omega 3 and they cause problems.  Refined seed oils have only been

available for a few decades and during that time our health has declined and our weight

has increased.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@wotsup wrote:

My dad ate all the fat from lamb and pork chops, would even have it off our plates if we left if, was never overweight and lived to a ripe old age.

Back in the day the various meats seemed so much more fatty and the main tasty part of the gravy was the fat collecting in the pan as the meat cooked in the oven.

But fat people appeared to be a much more rarer sight then. So was it the "unhealthy" food or the more physical jobs or both that kept us slimmer.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Modern high-carb diets resulted in the body over-producing insulin, aswell as storing the sugars derived from said carbs as fat in the body, and the fact that our lifestyles have changed from being active to sitting on our backsides looking at computer screens all day, it's no wonder we're all pear-shaped... 😂

I had one hell of a scare back in october with my diet, eat certain foods that are supposedly "healthy", and I'd feel rotten and even pass out afterwards, pre-diabetes, from eating "healthy", now I've changed my diet to "not healthy" stuff that is protein rich with natural fats, and boy do I feel a hell of a lot better, even dropped two stone in the process, and I've not exercised, it's just my body getting rid of the rubbish fat stores that's built up over the years, so there is a lot of truth in the eat fat get thin diet...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@twocvbloke 

Which fine if you can bring yourself to eat the stuff and many folk can't - myself included. I don't doubt that a lot of what we eat is stuffed with stuff but to knowingly shove a slice of it in your mouth? Err, no thanks.

Even something like pork scratching makes me shudder, crispy or not. As kids mum would usually serve up breast of lamb or Sundays as it was all we could afford and knowing I'd push mine to the side of the plate I would be given a small piece. 

Not all is wasted though. Bacon mentioned in an earlier post has it's fat cut off, chopped, and fed to my birdie buddies.