Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eat Healthily - Cook With Lard?

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Eat Healthily - Cook With Lard?

Apparently the risks of frying with vegetable oil are greater than that of cooking with lard!
"Cooking with vegetable oils releases toxic chemicals linked to cancer and other diseases, according to leading scientists, who are now recommending food be fried in olive oil, "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11981884/Cooking-with-vegetable-oils-releases-toxic-canc...
But previously...
"With scientists advising against cooking with olive oil - it is claimed to produce toxic chemicals when heated"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/diet/10970070/Why-olive-oil-should-be-kept-out-of-the...
(I have chosen The Telegraph for quotes for a change but off course the Daily Mail has similar stories.)
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Eat Healthily - Cook With Lard?

Give it another few weeks and they will both be running articles that say the exact opposite.
Smiley
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

To be honest - the 'experts' can't  agree, I've stopped listening to them.
It all depends on who is paying them, anyway.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Worry is a wasteful use of the imagination, so sod 'em and fry away in whatever you like, from sunflower oil to 10w30... Grin
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I prefer 20w40 myself. Wink
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

10w30 shakes off the chips easier, not as thick after all, so healthier too... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nah, deep fry your mars bars in sae80 heavy oil for that nice shine.
I gave up listening to the "the experts" many many years ago, it depends on who is paying them what they find.
Community Veteran

I use either olive oil or rapeseed oil depending on what I am cooking.
Community Veteran

Crisp & dry!!  For chips using Picasso potatoes. Lovely  Smiley
DamBuilder
Grafter

Olive oil only for me. I work on the principle that it's a fruit juice really Wink so can't be bad and besides all those Mediterranean folk who live forever can't be wrong can they lol.....
I try to remember that moderation and variety is the key as too much of anything is bad for you even water..!!!
nanotm
Pro

I have been saying for decades that processed junk is bad for you regardless of the proclamations postulated in the popular press about the supposed benefits of using xyc synthetic equivalent.
mother nature has managed to feed mankind for thousands of years without the per capita incidence rates of modern medical problems, the changes in average diets and the changes in pollutants have to be the primary causes, of course the messing with food has taken on a whole new pace and pervasion in recent years with different so called experts calling for taxes and bans on all kinds of things in an effort to tackle some epidemic or crisis looming, they should be campaigning for good honest food and banning from shop shelves of all the ready foods that the human condition is not meant to consume ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Steve
Pro

Quote from: nanotm
mother nature has managed to feed mankind for thousands of years without the per capita incidence rates of modern medical problems, the changes in average diets and the changes in pollutants have to be the primary causes, of course the messing with food has taken on a whole new pace and pervasion in recent years with different so called experts calling for taxes and bans on all kinds of things in an effort to tackle some epidemic or crisis looming, they should be campaigning for good honest food and banning from shop shelves of all the ready foods that the human condition is not meant to consume ....
+1 cant argue with that, the thought of mechanical meat and chicken though produced for the masses makes me gag. Maybe we should have more of that on TV. I believe the reason why a lot of the elderly people nowadays live to ( my neighbours almost 100 ) a ripe age has to be with the good food they were brought up on. No rubbish back then fresh veg on demand!
Community Veteran

Must be a slow news day at the Telegraph as that came out months ago.
It was all about heat.
Olive oil was good cold but when heated goes a bit toxic.
While Lard is, well lard, and heating doesn't seem to make it any more noxious than it already is.
The truth of the matter is the same as always. Variety.
Don't live on just fried food.
Community Veteran

You're right about olive oil. I only use it at low temperatures. That's why I recently switched to rapeseed oil which I read was good for cooking and also for me Smiley
Community Veteran

Ah Rapeseed oil. The vegetable oil which needs treatment to reduce toxin level - erucic acid, though to be fair the leading producer Canola says it is safe nowadays.  Originally used as a lubricant for steam engines.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.