cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East is east and west is west and ne'er the train...

Fixes: 123

East is east and west is west and ne'er the train...

On my travels yesterday being bored I was watching the many stations go by and noticed that some were <station name> East or West and some East or West <station name>.
Anyone aware of any logic behind this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: East is east and west is west and ne'er the train...

Could try looking at old maps of the railway line... and you MAY find there were two stations in that place.... One called  XXXXXXX East... and the other called XXXXXXX West...so that the engine driver, and the guard, would know which station they had stopped at / missed ..... Also passengers may have preferred travelling from one side of the town, .. whilst others may have preferred to use their nearest station.... and why only  one called East or West... pretty obvious... the other one closed, due to re-organization... but at the time the tickets and timetables, would have been printed with the remaining station name... thereby no need to change that name... or do re-prints because the trains don`t call at XXXXXX  but at XXXXX East or West whichever remained....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Canterbury is odd like that too with both stations being approx 1.5 - 2 miles apart - terrible if you have a connection to make.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Another point to remember, is that when the railway companies were all separate... they each had their own stations... and would not allow other company trains to run on their tracks... which would cause you to have two stations in  one town...and these would have been integrated into the "bigger" picture by merging the two railway companies, and eventually the stations would be joined by new track, or one line closed... just leaving the East or West station .....
Community Veteran

and that brings up another point...
The government nationalised all the railway companies, then shut down a load of railway and has now made them privately operated again.
The railway companies should be claiming compo for loss of earnings, income and damage to property!  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: shutter
which would cause you to have two stations in  one town...

I believe at one point last century there were 5 stations in Peebles. All closed by Dr B.
"The Borders Railway" just reopened last weekend. The Queen was here to officially open it on Wed. Pity is only a skeleton of its former self. (Edinburgh <-> Galashiels only), Great thing is to get South you need to travel 30 miles NORTH then come back down another line.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Burnley has four stations at present, Manchester road, Central, Rose Grove, and Barracks, the latter three suffering from being lopped off from national travel at Colne (used to go through direct to Skipton & beyond) by the B who was a doctor of uselessness, presumably he wanted that particular line to end at Rose Grove where the line to Colne and the line towards Leeds diverge, thankfully he didn't succeed, but having to source the £80m to rebuild the 11.5 mile twin tracks  between Colne and Skipton to try and reverse the damage done, well, that's another thing altogether... Undecided
(Used to live in Colne myself and used the railway a lot, I do miss it considering this area where I am no has been well and truly beeching'd (whether or not he was involved, it's a term that suits the de-railing of lines that used to be) so no trains to be had unless I travelled by bus to places where I'd not need to get the train to as I was already there!!)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Quote from: shutter
which would cause you to have two stations in  one town...

I believe at one point last century there were 5 stations in Peebles. All closed by Dr B.
"The Borders Railway" just reopened last weekend. The Queen was here to officially open it on Wed. Pity is only a skeleton of its former self. (Edinburgh <-> Galashiels only), Great thing is to get South you need to travel 30 miles NORTH then come back down another line.

I head of that one a few years back and that they were reworking the old decaying tunnels to make them usable again. Glad to see that line is open again.. even if it is only partial. Who knows, the rest of it might one day follow. It should never have been closed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

There is talk of extending it to Hawick/on to Carlisle. Whether it happens or not is up in the air. It cost £284M to complete so far. Including an eyesore in Gala called the "interchange" £5M well spent I think NOT.
Fixes: 123

Thanks for the replies but I think my real question was lost somehow...
What I really wanted to know was why are some stations called  <station name> East when others are called East <station name> (e.g. Canterbury East, East Grinstead)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

Are you being serious?
East Grinstead is a place, it's not Grinstead
If Grinstead was a place with 2 stations then you will have Grinstead East and Grinstead West.
Now if East Grinstead had 2 stations will they be called East Grinstead East and East Grinstead West?
Community Veteran

I refer you to my previous posts ! ! ! ...   Cheesy
and as "itsme" has pointed out... any village/town with a compass name as its title... would have that name displayed, and the station location after it....
e.g.  West Bromwich North... West Bromwich South... or even West Bromwich Central..
Leicester did have four stations when I was a child living there..... Central... Midland, Belgrave Road... and another one I can`t recall, as I think it was only a goods station or little used.
Since the Central railway closed... and the station... a vital bridge was blown up by the army cutting the line at Birstall... which has since been re-named Leicester North, on the Heritage Railway from Loughbrough  ...