cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earthquake in Italy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Earthquake in Italy

At least 73 people have died in a earthquake in Italy that measured 6.2 on the scale.

The fault line runs along the centre of Italy, is it wise to build near fault lines.

I think New York is similar and only a matter of time before a similar thing happens there

4 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Earthquake in Italy

Fault lines indeed, but many of the houses affected were several hundred years old?

Lets hope that the death and injury rate does not rise much higher. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Sadly the new casualty figures are much higher. There's an amazing picture in today's Telegraph which show almost all of the old stone houses collapsed around a standing modern style building. When Italy reconstructs the towns they should look to Japan and West Coast USA building regulations for earthquake resilient buildings.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Building regulations? Easier said than done in somewhere like Italy which like Greece suffers horribly from corruption and backhanders. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

This is so sad. The TV pictures look horrific and our thoughts must go out to the victims.