cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earth Was Almost Plunged Into Darkness ( NASA )

Steve
Pro

Earth Was Almost Plunged Into Darkness ( NASA )

Nasa has warned how civilisation was almost sent back 200 years when a huge solar storm came extremely close to hitting Earth.
The space agency said the most powerful coronal mass ejection (CME) to hit the planet for over 150 years missed Earth by just a few days.
Had it hit, it would have caused widespread power blackouts, "disabling everything that plugs into a wall socket".
"Most people wouldn't even be able to flush their toilet because urban water supplies largely rely on electric pumps," Nasa said.
The CME tore through Earth's orbit on 23 July, 2012, but Earth was not there – it had moved out of the storm's path one week earlier.

Clicky Linky to...NASA not Daily Mail
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Earth Was Almost Plunged Into Darkness ( NASA )

Lucky miss that eh?! Imagine how many iphone users whingers who would be complaining about their wonder gadgets not working
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Yes lucky it was. Sometimes the higher ups should remember they are human just like all of us and could be wiped out in a jiffy. Wouldn't need an iphone then Tongue but then I wonder if only the public new this information last?!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

To think.. if they announced this in 2012 (with the disaster film of the same name) there really would have been world wide panic  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I think there was a 2 part mini series called cat 8 that covered this I great detail ........
one of 5 I watched during the last few years about CME's  and there effects on earths  electrical systems  most of them based on the effects of minor CME's on the trans Siberian railway ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 104

quite an interesting piece on it https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/the-truth-about-solar-storms-1ab160203da4
Will Moderate For Thanks
Thunderclap
Grafter

Angry That would make a very interesting letter from my utility company justifying their hyper-hyke in energy prices...

"we are sorry... wholesale prices have increased rapidly... due to a recent space weather storm caused by sunspots."

...really, these guys will use any reason to profiteer.
It would be interesting to ponder just how long it would take the Government to react to such an emergency - one day, one week, one month, never? Maybe I should dust off that old generator though, just in case. No doubt my nieghbour will be extra smug with his new solar panels, provided the CME / EMP didn't blow them up too.