cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU want to change OUR number plates.

Devonian
Grafter

EU want to change OUR number plates.

As the title says, the EU want to FORCE us to adopt an EU designed number plate for our vehicles.
Well I for one will never put that crap on my vehicles.
When I bought my van and car they had the stupid EU symbol in the corner, so I immediately replaced them with number plates containing the St George Cross in it's place.
Yet again this is another threat to our way of life, compliments of Heil Merkle.
What on earth has this got to do with the common market?  It's getting pathetic now.
The sooner we get out of this circus the better.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2601201/UK-number-plates-axed-EU-Proposals-common-colours-ID...
41 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Re: EU want to change OUR number plates.

er... what's the problem?  (apart from you not liking the EU Smiley )
Devonian
Grafter

The point is, why would they want to make every EU country have the same number plate design?  The same Passport design, the same driving licence design?
To create a United States of Europe.  That is what they are pushing for.
It;s been 40 years since the UK were last asked it's thoughts on EU membership.
At the time my parents were told it was to create a common market.
Never have we been asked about giving away our country to an unelected few foreigners to rule from abroad.
The EU is making almost daily changes to our way of life, real significant changes to our country, based on permission granted 40 years ago.  And that permission was granted based on lies.
We are supposed to live in a democracy.
Well the majority of British people are now pretty hacked off with the EU.
Almost the only people who are happy with the EU, are the wealthy, the big business players, the MPs, and yes, the immigrants.
thejudge
Grafter

Except, dear Devonian, the Mule and the Suppress are talking spherical objects again (surprise, surprise!)
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-eu-26975209
http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/licenced-to-mislead/
Sorry to burst another one of your bubbles. Facts are...awkward, aren't they?
gswindale
Grafter

So,
Somebody has suggested that we opt for a standard numberplate.
This makes a lot of sense - last summer I was in the USA and noticed that the rules about number plates seemed to depend on the state the car was registered in - some had rear plates only, some had both & some only had front plates I seem to recall.  They all varied in design even those from the same states had variations.
I cannot see the issue with the design being the same - how about a yellow rectangle with XXXX XXX on the rear and a white version on the front.  What you do with the XXX XXXX is up to the state in question.   A little flag or other symbol (GB perhaps) to designate the country of origin.
Devonian
Grafter

I don't think you have actually burst any bubble.
Firstly, the BBC are about as biased as it gets regards all things EU.
Secondly, the EU will say just about ANYTHING to get a policy through.
Remember Ireland and Holland's vote on the Lisbon treaty?
Nobody, certainly not me, said 'Next week British number plates will be scrapped'.
However, the ball has started rolling, and just like anything else the EU invaders set their mind on, eventually, this year, next year, whenever, they will begin to push the issue.
So, unable-to-Judge, you are wrong.
@Geofftswin We aren't in the USA.  We all so aren't the USEU.  We are a sovereign nation, who's century year all system works fine.
itsme
Grafter

Is the UK the only sovereign country in the EU?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Community Veteran

Well, anything has got to be better than the abortion of a numbering system we have today!  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
gswindale
Grafter

Once again you seem to miss the point.
Many years ago we had a random currency system.  Now we have the same system as most of the world.
Many years ago we weighed in pounds/stones/ounces - there was a somewhat inconsistent quantity of 1 in the others.  Same with distances.  You will note that the "imperial" measurements were inconsistent between countries.
Now we use metric distances/weights along with a decimal currency.
This is standardisation and hasn't exactly caused loss of identity has it?
What is so bad about having "XX00 XXX gb" on a yellow rear plate in the uk whilst having "X00 XX0 fr" on a yellow french plate for example?  It becomes a standard, but still with national identity.
I suppose you want to go back to using farthings/shillings and having your temperatures in fahrenheit.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Wouldn't that have to be replaced by a "GB except Scotland" suffix?  Cheesy

Devonian
Grafter

The point is, our system works.
Why should we change our system, that we all know, and that doesn't need changing?
Why should a bunch of foreigners be able to tell us to change these things?
It's the principle of the matter.
What was the point of the second world war, when half the country is bending over backwards to give it away? 
Why has it suddenly become a dirty secret to want to run our own affairs?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Where did you read this in the express !!!
Maybe better to read this then:
"Threat to British number plates? Think again
EU officials say that's simply not the case.
They argue that the article is misleading, saying there's no plan to scrap British number plates and that the new law is designed to reduce the cost and time it takes to register a vehicle abroad.
"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-eu-26975209
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Mal08, don't shout at me for saying this slightly tongue in cheek, but there was a telling phrase in the 'reason' given in the EU officials comment 'reduce the cost and time it takes to register a car abroad' - sorry but all legislation is designed to increase those factors - officialdom doesn't like anything to be easy, and if they can screw you for money they will.
Having said that, I personally don't think this is a practical suggestion, and like many EU ideas, it won't see the light of day. I could of course be wrong.
And anyway - why does everyone and everything in 'Europe' have to be the same? Unless I am mistaken, even though we are in the European Community, we are still a sovereign nation, and TBH I fail to understand why we allow unelected and unaccountable bureaucrat to tell us what we have to do? I thought that was the perogative of Parliament?
John
itsme
Grafter

Think someone confusing the EC, which are unelected and the EU which are elected, MEPs. This is from the EU which will be debated in the EU Parliament.