cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU to boost Mafia funding

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

EU to boost Mafia funding

I note on the Daily Express website the EU Commissioner is proposing Road Tolls based on satellite tracking (I presume they mean GPS) across Europe, including the UK. This tax would go back to the EU for redistribution. It would be called something like Harmonisation of Vehicle taxation. Thus your road toll would fund road developments/maintenance in far flung places across Europe such as Italy and Sicily. In is not unknown for such locations to have organised crime involvement in roads projects. Of course , in common with Greece, the EU has not been able to produce a budget capable of auditor sign-off for years, so I'm sure we can trust the money would be wisely spent.  Cry
A few years back I met with the CTO for the Transport Department of the UK government. She was espousing similar plans to the UK road system. She was unable to answer my question about what happens when a minor road runs closely adjacent to a GPS tolled motorway. There isn't always sufficient accuracy of position resolution to differentiate which road the person is on. She believed that GPS jammers could be banned.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: EU to boost Mafia funding

You put too much faith in the accuracy of Daily Express articles.
The Commissioner did not say such a system would be compulsory across the EU.
There are a couple of reasons behind the proposal:
- There are different road taxes/tolls across Europe, which does make it complicated if you drive cross-border.
- Germany will begin introducing tolls on the autobahns from next year and it is targeted against foreign drivers.
Community Veteran

I have less faith in the European Commission to continue to attempt to seize power and funding outside of their original remit. The examples you pose are not reasons.
Community Veteran

What you've wrote makes no sense and the report in the Express is neither an accurate nor fair reflection of the interview in Die Welt Am Sonntag.
nanotm
Pro

it is however yet more evidence of eu member states loosing more control and entering into increasingly more centralised control or legal and financial matters.
it wont be long now before the EUP is the only parliament with national governments being nothing more than a state legislature for localised rules such as you would find anywhere in the USA .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It a daft idea.
Much more sensible to plant a chip in everyone at birth and charge them for every mile they moved, they would raise much more money that way.
Smiley Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nah.... daft idea that...... everyone would stay at home.... kids would do skool on the internet..... maters and paters would also work from home... shops would only be warehouses manned by robotic systems... goods would be delivered by Amazon Drones.... motor manufacturing would be brought to a halt...( almost )  ( as some people would probably need one )... so it would cut down the greenhouse gasses emitted by  2cv`s and buses and trains would not need to run there would be a drop in revenue from the big oil companies, road transport would be cut dramatically so there would be no need to build more motorways carving up the precious earth where you could plant trees... oh .... no need to plant them... cos there will be less pollution... government would be by forum voting and therefore parliament could be disolved, thus cutting down on the snout int he trough mentality so saving the taxpayer more money... income tax would be a thing of the past quite quickly then ? ? ? 

Actually, come to think of it.... not a bad idea at all ! !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: AndyH
... wrote makes no sense ...

So you think the comment about GPS/satellite tracking for road toll charging is incorrect? Or did you merely misunderstand?
Or maybe you dispute the offices EU Commission strive to exceed their brief?
Perhaps the Mafia in Southern Italy has never gained from EU funds?
Other than the sniffy comments about the Express, what part do you think I wrote [sic] wrongly?  Please elucidate?
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
... gasses emitted by  2cv`s ...

Oooh low blow  Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
So you think the comment about GPS/satellite tracking for road toll charging is incorrect? Or did you merely misunderstand?

Eh? Show me where they talk about a GPS/satellite tracking system.
For your information, here is the original article with the EU Transport Commissioner - http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article136741358/EU-Kommissarin-Bulc-will-europaweite-Pkw-Mau...

Perhaps the Mafia in Southern Italy has never gained from EU funds?

Right... and the relevance or link to this story is?!  Huh
Other than the sniffy comments about the Express, what part do you think I wrote [sic] wrongly?  Please elucidate?

the EU Commissioner is proposing Road Tolls based on satellite tracking (I presume they mean GPS) across Europe, including the UK. This tax would go back to the EU for redistribution. It would be called something like Harmonisation of Vehicle taxation. Thus your road toll would fund road developments/maintenance in far flung places across Europe such as Italy and Sicily. In is not unknown for such locations to have organised crime involvement in roads projects.
Europe-wide road tolls: Outrage as Brussels plans to slap MORE tolls on our roads
MOTORISTS face being clobbered with bills potentially running into thousands of pounds a year under EU proposals for Europe-wide road tolls, it emerged last night.

Great journalism from the Express there...more of their article is made up than anything. They seem to miss the fact that the whole idea of what the EU Commissioner is proposing is just to have standardised pricing across the EU on tolls roads. No where does it say she's forcing or turning Europe into a mass of toll roads!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Oooh low blow  Wink

He's a big man ain't he? Grin