cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds

[quote=BBC news]It aims to get all European households on at least 30 megabits per second (Mbps) by 2020, with half the population enjoying more than 100Mbps, so as to make the continent more competitive and productive.
Smiley
[quote=BBC news]A particular objective is to get more money invested in rural broadband. Left to their own devices, telecoms companies often invest less in such areas because they are not as profitable as more densely-populated towns and cities.
Smiley
[quote=BBC news]The Commission also hopes its plan would immediately create hundreds of thousands of jobs in the construction and telecoms equipment industries, as efforts to install fibre optic cable networks increase with the additional backing.
Smiley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15320628
Wink
10 REPLIES
x47c
Grafter

Re: EU plan to spend billions on boosting broadband speeds

Only £8bn across the whole EU - it's a trivial amount.
I'd say for £8bn spent in the UK alone you could probably bring fibre to every street box in the UK (ie enable FTTC to 100% of homes)
To get Fibre direct to every home plus all the backhaul infrastructure to support fibre speeds to 100% of homes you are probably looking at £30-40bn plus - and that's just in the UK
Community Veteran

I think there are better ways to spend £30-40bn in these economically difficult times Sad
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm sceptical but when I see the phrase "European households" I take that to mean the UK to spend £8bn installing broadband for the likes of Greece, Italy, and Spain.
Europe to pay = UK
Europe to benefit = All of Europe except the UK
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A great pity Gordon Brown squandered the £20+ Billion windfall he obtained on the Mobile Phone Bandwidth auction. To think we could all have had FTTH if he'd reinvested the money on the telecoms infrastructure.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Another one of his many blunders Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
his many blunders

More than enough to publish his very own book of blunders.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Does anyone ever actually notice the increase in these speeds? - PN have supposedly upgraded us but I've not really noticed any difference to be honest. The pages only download as fast as the server that holds them can output / generate them.
This seems like another one of those "We're giving you something good" PR stunts that doesn't really seem to amount to much. Will it make it easier for you to put bread on the table? Will it help you pay your energy bills?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
hmarshy
Grafter

No but it will save you time, most of the time, maybe!!  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yesterday, I wanted to waste a few MB on my 3 MiFi, so did a bit
Yesterday 21:29 9409 kbps (1.18MB/s) 832 kbps (104kB/s)
Yesterday 19:59 1236 kbps (155kB/s) 330 kbps (41.3kB/s)
and yes I did notice the difference,
a) it would not run some of the BBC News video 
apart from that very little difference in e-mail or general browsing  to my slowish ADSL2  = 9404 kbps
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah you do notice it more on a 3G connection without a doubt. I've had all sorts of signals using it but it has the advantage of getting you online almost anywhere (ish). I've not noticed a speed difference on the land line though except for large file downloads. I found a couple of files coming down at over 1Mb per second the other night but that was using a download manager called flashget which opens up multiple connections. Never achieved that speed with a single connection to a file on a http server though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!