cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU hoping to ban free plastic bags, what do you re-use yours for ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2120304/Free-plastic-bags-banned-Europe.html?ITO=1490
I've been stocking up for ages, just hope the bio-degradable ones don't, in the dark.
I also bought 1,000 from Chinese supermarket for £10. Bunny bags daily.
Used also for household Bin liners, smelly items into kitchen bin, cat poo in garden bags, bunny cage clearing out, bum protectors on wet seats, shredder bags, lots of second uses.
Tightly rolled up and used as wheelie bin lid keep openers, in freezing weather.
However, my re-usable 10p Co-op ones I use for Aldi have lasted a couple of years now.
Squash nice and flat in boot of car.
(Which is where I discovered bio degradable ones, had.)
What about black bin bags, are they to be banned too ?
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: EU hoping to ban free plastic bags, what do you re-use yours for ?

I use mine for bin bags - they're ideal.
I wonder what will happen to the large bags we are given by the council for paper waste Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

Me too. Ideal.  Smiley
Still got a few council bin bags saved (we're now on wheelies) and they come in useful at times.
jmd
Grafter

I use mine to line pedal bin - saves buying bags!  Also use those charity bags that never get collected for garden rubbish etc.  Wish they would ban those - some weeks get three pushed through door!  Cannot imagine ever having enough stuff I want to give away to fill those!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: artmo

Yes and the handles make great ties.
Also SWMBO has recycled old boxes by covering them in newspaper using the glue from another thread then decorating them. They look good are strong and sturdy and have an old carrier bag as a liner.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

Those bio-degradable ones can be a problem if you need a bag to take something somewhere and you happen to pick one of those from the back of the cupboard.
Half way down the street it starts breaking up and dumps it's load on the footpath.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I've had that happen to me as well.  Also I've noticed with the Tesco ones if you store them for a long time they eventually break up into pieces.
Community Veteran

Like just about everyone else I use them for bin liners.
Isn't this whole exercise just pointless and another burden on the tax payer?
In Ireland when they banned these in shops all that happened was the sale of plastic bin liner bags went through the roof. So what exactly was achieved there?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We don't really use them now to be honest. My partner bought a couple of those real strong reuseable bags (£2 or £3 a pop I think - not the £1 ones, these are really strong) and we've been using those for months and months. Really good, very strong, can carry loads of heavy stuff in each one without ripping etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

keep some in my rucksack so if I come across boggy ground I can slip them over my boots, when I've finished with them I can take them home in another plastic bag and dump them.
kjpetrie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

More shopping, actually.
I use the "charity" (actually fundraising companies that give a small proportion of their profits to charity) ones as bin liners, after they fail to collect them.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Be careful though, all the "charity " ones left me have holes in them, I put half a newspaper in the bottom to absorb liquids.
nadger
Rising Star

We use charity bags, that come through letter box, as bin liners. We rarely get supermarket plastic bags as have both Tesco and Aldi strong reusable bags.
I get a steady supply ( 50 at a time) of slightly smaller complimentary plastic bags from my prescription supplier. I only use a few of them for their intended use so give the remainder to dog owning neighbours.
Fixes: 125

One of the reasons I haven't swtched to the stronger reusable bags is because we only do a major shop every couple of weeks to keep the motoring costs down. Therefore I'd have to purchase quite a few of these bags to transfer the shopping from the car to the house which I don't want to do.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

I used to have 3 or 4 cheap plastic boxes like these that I would drop into the boot.
When I finished my shopping I took it in it's trolley to the car and transferred everything to the boxes making it easier to take into the house when I got home.
These days I have a couple of Tesco reusable bags which are strong and  durable.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation