cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU forcing UK cars to have speed limit devices fitted.

Devonian
Grafter

EU forcing UK cars to have speed limit devices fitted.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/01/uk-fights-eu-speed-limit-devices
My personal view as a professional driver, this is incredibly dangerous.
How many times have you had to accelerate to get out of a possible situation?  Over taking a truck on a long country road for example.. you pull out, press the throttle.. the speed gains.. then on with the brakes, leaving you on the other side of the road with no way to pass the truck and a car appears coming towards you... you break hard to get back behind the truck, but  there is somebody following to close, stopping you from pulling back in... BANG!! head on collision.
How about the thousands of people who race their cars legally at the weekends on private tracks?
Now, ignoring the road safety aspect, and onto the EU forcing themselves more and more into every day life, dictating our every move, controlling us in any way they please, how can that be right?  How can it be justified or allowed?
When we last had a referendum on the EU, decades ago, we were never asked about giving all of our powers away, and allowing foreign lands to dictate how we rule our country.
In fact, I am 34, and I have never been asked my view, I am just expected to blindly follow and allow these idiots to destroy our way off life, and that is why I will not vote for the main 3.
34 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: EU forcing UK cars to have speed limit devices fitted.

Perhaps the UK should insist on full equivalence so that the maximum speed limit is 70mph across Europe - that should kick it in to touch!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Devonian
Grafter

Exactly.
If the EU wish for equality, how about the millions of EU vehicles on British roads being forced to pay road tax?
Community Veteran

Would that also mean UK vehicles would have to pay road tax when they travel in Europe Undecided Undecided
Devonian
Grafter

Doesn't UK drivers already pay tolls?
Community Veteran

Tolls are not road tax.  A foreign driver using the Humber Bridge for example will have to pay the toll to do so.
Devonian
Grafter

That is true, but unlike the UK, the majority of the EU motorway network is  toll based, so the UK motorist does pay into the pot.
The same can not be said for the EU motorist/trucker.
How many polish have lived here more than a 12 month, yet are still driving a Polish registered vehicle?
The same can be said for the French.
A house in my street has 4.. yes FOUR Dutch registered vehicles belonging to the fruit pickers living there, they have been there for over 2 years.
I have reported them to the DVLA/Police several times, yet they still driv around immune from the bills of the indiginous species. 
It is not right or fair.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Reminded me of a sticker in the rear window of a van...
I may be limited to 60mph but that doesn't stop me driving in second with my foot on the floor
Anyone for a donut?

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I could go quite fast on a steep downhill slope by simply pushing the clutch to the floor.
Alternatively, I could drive at 60mph down really narrow, winding country lanes Cheesy

Fixes: 47

That would upset Audi and BMW drivers.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Devonian
How many polish have lived here more than a 12 month, yet are still driving a Polish registered vehicle?

Careful there matey, you could be accused of racism for that remark (like I was once) despite their skin colour being the same.
As for the cars, I have a Lithuanian neighbour who had a Renault Clio here on his countrys plates for almost 2 years. The fuzz eventually told him enough was enough and started tugging him as they knew he lived here. Sure enough he re-registered it and it's now on UK plates.
As for the issue at hand though, if the EU want our cars to be fitted with speed limiters they can bl**dy well pay for it. I'm not forking out £hundreds - £thousands to get a speed limiter fitted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea but I am against the cost.
As that article says though, we have whats probably the best safety record in europe roads-wise. Why do they feel the need to impose this stupidity on us when they can't get their own house in order? - If they want to make a difference they should concentrate on their own roads and safety enforcement rather than targetting us again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
CX
Grafter

So if I get one of these EU speed limiter thingies fitted, I'll still be able to do 70mph through the town centre? Well that's okay then.
Community Veteran

I remember a certain EU Commissioner reportedly promoting the idea that we should have the distances shown on roads in Km and change us to left-hand drive vehicles like they did in Sweden. These seemed to have gone into the bin, exactly like the ones here.
Angry
Fixes: 47

Quote from: CX
So if I get one of these EU speed limiter thingies fitted, I'll still be able to do 70mph through the town centre?

We have recently had a 20mph limit introduced on our estate.
It would appear that some drivers have already had one of those devices fitted Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They will be able to throw all the speeding cameras in the bin.