Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU and Technology

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

EU and Technology

I couldn't decide where to post this, so opted for General Chat as it may get more response.

Can anyone explain the logic in this BBC News article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51324847 ?

To me, it doesn't make sense - if I dispose of equipment that has a removable connecting cord, I keep the lead - they can and do fail occasionally, and, IMO, it is always good to have a couple of spares.

As the article says, there are really three types in use these days, so are they stifling technology?

John
34 REPLIES 34
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: EU and Technology

Hmm..... uk mains plugs.... three pins.... rectangular in profile...  no matter what electrical item you buy... it has a "universal" plug for the UK mains fitted...

Continentals... use a two pin system... not sure...but I suspect..  that is also a "universaal" plug and socket system... hence the "2pin to 3pin" universal adapters available for continental type electrical items... and vice versa   a  "3 pin to 2 pin" universal adapter for when we take our stuff abroad...

Can`t see why the phone should be any different... ... the main reason they have their "own" design... is that it limits the customers "re-use" on a rival`s equipment...

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

"We want to ensure that any new legislation will not result in the shipment of any unnecessary cables or external adaptors with every device, or render obsolete the devices and accessories used by many millions of Europeans and hundreds of millions of Apple customers worldwide."

This from the company that forces it's customers into using a plethora of dongles/adapters because they keep removing ports and/or using it's own proprietary connecters.

All Apple is worried about is losing licensing fees from it's MFI Program if it's forced to adopt standards...

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter Sorry, I don't quite see your point. True, you can't use an Apple cable for non-Apple equipment, but I don't think that is a major problem, new cables are cheap enough anyway and to be honest, I like the Lightening connection - no fiddly 'which way up?' question when you insert it for one and it allows for thinner profiles on equipment, although I understand the USB-C type is also thinner than previous versions.

John
DaveyH
Champion

@jab1 wrote:

I like the Lightening connection - no fiddly 'which way up?' question when you insert it for one and it allows for thinner profiles on equipment, although I understand the USB-C type is also thinner than previous versions.

It's also reversible like Lightning,  and a standard being adopted by most manufacturers including Apple on it's computers....

Anonymous
Not applicable

There’s no ‘fiddly which way up’ with usb-c either.
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Ok, thanks @DaveyH  and @Anonymous  - I thought I'd read that somewhere, so the EU 'initiative' is redundant in a way, then.

John
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

It is just the increasingly irrelevant EU throwing their weight around - they are notorious for trying to set standards for the whole world,  they are often called 'non-tariff barriers' and are the EU weapon of choice - if you can't compete then put up technical or scientific barriers to give advantage to your local manufacturers.

It could also be a case of 'the devil finds work for idle legislators and civil servants to do' and the EU has hordes of those.  Why don't the EU adopt the British 3 pin plug if they are so interested in having the best,  fused at the plug, extremely safe, well designed and rugged and makes their flimsy dangerous plugs look like they were designed by a five year old in their lunch break.

DaveyH
Champion

Not when they idiotically continue to use Lightning on their other devices

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@wotsup I thought there was already an internationl standards organisation - the ISO - truly international, unlike the EU.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 
That ... IS... the point... the 3 pin MAINS plug fits  ALL the uk sockets ( with a three pin configuration)   My Kettle lead will also fit on my Communications Receiver... ( same fit both ends... my "hoover" is a VAX machine... but a "bissel" "hoover" also has the same fit 3 pin plug...  the point being.  that no matter who manufactures the electrical equipment, it can be plugged in to the UK mains, and does not need a "special lead" to do so...

Apple, et al... all need "special" leads...to fit their OWN equipment ONLY... in other words... you cannot use an Apple lead on a rival phone... so both must carry their particular lead..

and THAT is wasting more resources, due to the incompatibility between phone leads... 

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@DaveyH wrote:

Not when they idiotically continue to use Lightning on their other devices

So - you have a 'Lightening' cable for those devices and a USB-C for others - I don't see the problem, tbh.

John
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There is already "one standard", it's Universal Serial Bus, it's just one certain company just decided to make proprietary connectors for their stuff... 😂

As for pointless paperwork, it reminds me of the 230v EU standard harmonised mains voltage, apparently we all run on 230v, plus or minus 10%, meaning we actually did nothing to actually change voltages to harmonise, UK is still 240v, Germany & some others 230v, France & others at 220v, so they pushed through paperwork which is meaningless, because to actually have done that harmonising, there would have needed to have been a lot of distribution transformers throughout europe needing to be changed which would have been an immense cost, but paperwork that means naff all is "cheap" (but the people writing it get a nice bonus I'm sure) so they can make up standards that aren't standard... 🤔

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1   it`s not a problem..(if you have all three leads for three items) .. .. unless, you are thinking in terms of WASTE  ....

three separate leads for three different manufacturers of the same type of article...?  total waste of materials, and manufacturing . 

ONE universal cable to charge any mobile phone, means less wastage... and could lead to a lower manufacturing cost... not just because of the cable cost,... but the engineering of special plugs/sockets and cable making machinery. 

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter -but the power lead for my kettle doesn't fit either my TV, or DVD, or laptop, or priner or..............

John