cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU/UK Legislation for Authorised Repairs to Cars

Community Veteran

EU/UK Legislation for Authorised Repairs to Cars

Have you seen this http://www.r2rc.co.uk/landing/index.htm
I saw it last week when I had to use a local garage to change some rubber bushes rather than DIY as I did not have the time.
Nanny state getting worse. Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
20 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: EU/UK Legislation for Authorised Repairs to Cars

Think this is the kind of thing they are trying to stamp out http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/7788278.stm and rightly so, not just for the safety of the drivers but for other motorists too.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont think the proposed legislation would stop home mechanics, only ones like Samuria reported
Fixes: 47

While I have sympathy for anyone who loses children in tragic circumstances I don't have sympathy with owners of such vehicles used as cars. They are commercial vehicles and should be used as such.
I also have no sympathy with anyone who substantially modifies a standard production vehicle and suffers as a consequence.
I have never paid anyone to service any car I have owned and have generally done my own repairs. Bodywork repairs (happily very rare) I have paid for as I've never been satisfied with the outcome when I tried it myself.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I also have no sympathy with anyone who substantially modifies a standard production vehicle and suffers as a consequence.

quite so.
if somebody wants to physically alter a vehicle I can see some kind of MOT retest being sensible, and in the case of the Land Rover mentioned below hopefully it would have been crushed on 1st sight.
there is a grey area when it comes to lowering suspension, etc, but as that is not likely to 'need modifcation' to the chassis to fit could be excluded. (though checking www.barryboys.co.uk may give you something to think about)
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Interesting site.
To me a car is a tool just like a fork or a telephone. It is not a piece of jewellery.
A rally car is heavily customised but is still a tool for the driver.
This may upset the 'drainpipe on a Punto' brigade but like it or not a car is simply a tool for getting person or persons from A to B.
hadden
Grafter

I think the original topic is more related to legislation that supports competition by making manufacturers allow independent garages access to technical data and special equipment.
This is similar to Servicing ties removed from new car warranties announcement by the Office of Fair Trading referring to the original legislation.
techguy
Grafter

I agree there should be a role for independent garages yes as dealerships can be a rip off but I do think vehicles should have a full service history for the safety of the owners.
Fixes: 104

Err isn't that what an MOT is for?
Will Moderate For Thanks

....but a year is a long time in motoring Wink and unlike illegal number plates I would imagine that serious modifications to suspension for example would be very difficult to roll back to legallity in time for the MOT.
So I would guess that such people would have a 'friendly' MOT Tester handy.
Fixes: 104

True, but then again you could sign your own service book too, a FSH doesn't really mean that much...
Will Moderate For Thanks

'Friends' in not so high places come in very useful Wink
hadden
Grafter

It's a wee bit trickier for independent garages to reset the "servicing due" warning light, code a new key or even interpret the fault diagnostic codes without access to a set of diagnostic equipment supplied by the vehicle manufacturer.

Unfortunately it's commercially understandable that the manufacturers restrict access to technical data to their main dealers.
For the same sort of reason that BT would prefer to restrict access to it's infrastructure.
techguy
Grafter

and also probably they dont want people rigging up the ECUs to their PCs and trying to soup up their cars.
I think there was a group trying to do this.