cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Elects its President

Community Veteran

EU Elects its President

So the EU has elected its president - Herman Van Rompuy.  Who the hell is he?  He's the prime minister of Belgium. Now we know Smiley
They also elected a foreign affairs supremo - Baroness Catherine Ashton from the UK.  Guess we all know her, don't we? Wink
What a lack lustre pair.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8367589.stm
17 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: EU Elects its President

Quote from: artmo
Who the hell is he?

I think that was the point.
It could have been worse. GB (that's Gordon Brown & Great Britain) were supporting Tony Blair (through gritted teeth).  Undecided
Community Veteran

A bit of egg on Brown's face I think Smiley
Community Veteran

be thankful that nutjob blair didn't get it.  the man's barking.  he's 'everybody love me please and give me lots of money'.
loathsome little tick he is.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I see you're his number one fan then artificer?
However, I'd like to be associated with those remarks.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
dgdclynx
Grafter

If they had chosen Blair then I would have supported our leaving the EU.
Community Veteran

Blair's reaction was a treat as he left his London home (one of them).  Crazy Bet the wicked witch is cursing Wink
Community Veteran

Note "the EU leaders have elected" - so democracy in action then.
Community Veteran

Guess it's the nearest they get to democracy  Smiley
johpal
Grafter

/pedant mode: on/
The European Council has elected its President (my italics).
/pedant mode: off/
If we'd all elected him, wouldn't we be citizens of the "United States of Europe"?  Wink
Community Veteran

Isn't that the idea?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
mentalist3d
Grafter

I haven't seen any footage of Blair since the news was announced, but I really hope it wiped that big smirking grin of his face, would have loved to have seen that  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Maybe we should have had Mr gray man as EU President - John Major - he's not doing much.
But then did we really want a big man in post ( I agree not Blair ) apparently Van Rompuy is a good mediator and has held Belgium factions together, and for you Tory supporters - he at least is centre right and in the Christian Democrates
I agree about Baroness Catherine Ashton being a strange choice though - maybe Paddy Ashdown would have made a better choice - or someone similar.
Community Veteran

One of the issues surrounding Blair and the presidency. would have been the near impossibility of bringing him to book over the circumstances and his involvement of the Iraq war had he gained the presidency (article in the Daily Mail today) As this is no longer the case look forward to Blair being brought before, kicking and screaming the investigating committee.

Community Veteran

Clare Short raised those very issues on Question Time last Thursday I understand.