Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Elections 2019

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

EU Elections 2019

I have yet to decide if I will be voting for any candidate in the EU elections due to take place 23-26 May 2019.

I will however be making my decision known one way or another and that in my view is really important. It might be of course there will not even be an election but it is looking increasingly likely.

So don't vote, then don't moan. Roll_eyes

Here is a list of all the candidates who have thrown their hats into the ring, and should you wish to register a protest vote and one that will be counted, then shown below is how to do it.

Advice re spoiling your ballot paper.

You need to make classifying your spoiled ballot paper as 'voter's intention uncertain - indefensible.

- Don't put a cross (or tick) anywhere.

- Dont' write anything else which could idenrify you, or create any uncertainty or excuse.

- Just put a single line through all the boxes 

- Write NONE across the ballot paper, so that your intention is clear beyond dispute.

- It will then be indefensible to classify it as 'voters intenstion uncertain'

Source: @KTHopkins

Capture.PNG                                                         

63 REPLIES 63
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: EU Elections 2019

Whoever gets voted in it's a sure thing they will try to drag out leaving as much as possible.

One year as an MEP = pension rights

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

No worries.....it's only our money that is being wasted, not like we have anything else that a greater priority.

Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well we could always put the estimated cost of over £100m on the side of a bus and change it to err, lets see, £500m?

Biggest daftest waste of taxpayers money ever. We should just leave and use money for other things... such as putting it into the MP's pension pot - I'm sure they would agree on that quick enough all of 'em.

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

I received my EU Poll Card today and I promise to follow the advice of @Minivanman.

I won't vote and I won't moan.

I have been to vote in the local stuff and put my cross against an option I don't usually select.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

I think it's important that those who believe Brexit should go ahead, vote for a Brexit-supporting party.  The government will use the number of votes for such parties as a guide when deciding whether they'll get away with ignoring the result of the referendum.

Once again my local authority has posted on its website that those who've broken the law by not registering to vote before the autumn deadline will not be fined £1,000, but have until 7th May to register.  I, having never failed to register on time, have lost over three weeks pay by having to do jury service twice, which those not on the electoral register can't be called to do.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Jonpe Yes, even as antipathetic to leaving, I agree fully with what you said about voting.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Why would someone who favours leaving the EU vote for a MEP candidate?

Surely only the so-called "Remainers" should vote for such a person?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I (always) have a postal vote and my voting papers have been shredded and are already lining a neighbour's hamster cage, I kid you not.

I would have done as suggested but I decided to save the Government the postage costs.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@VileReynard 

Many will consider just spoiling their papers as mentioned in the opening post.

As far as I am concerned voting for any candidate is an endorsement - so no prizes for guessing who will have a black felt pen with them when they enter that booth.    

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@VileReynard wrote:

Why would someone who favours leaving the EU vote for a MEP candidate?

Surely only the so-called "Remainers" should vote for such a person?

Nice try!

I'm a Brexiter, surprise surprise, and I'll be voting for the Brexit Party.

As I've said elsewhere, it's a travesty that we're even participating in the EU elections, but as it looks unlikely that we'll leave the EU before that election is held, the better the Brexit party do in said election the louder the message that will be sent to whom it may concern (no pun intended).

Further, the period between the election and the UK leaving can be made more difficult for the EU, if necessary, if there is a sizeable Brexit faction amongst UK MEPs.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I must admit @RobPN  I'm torn in this and maybe, just maybe on the day I just might do the same.

Highlighted
Fixes: 414

A light plane has just gone over my house pulling a large banner with VOTE BREXIT PARTY written on it.

Mr Farage didn't do himself and his party any favours this morning....in my opinion.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Just took a look at the London candidates in the EU parliamentary elections, and there are certainly a lot of them.

I notice that there is no Conservative Party, but a Conservative and Unionist Party.

There is also a UK European Union Party (UKEUP).  Since the parties are listed in alphabetical order, this party is directly above the UK Independence Party (UKIP).  I wonder how many will vote for the wrong one by mistake.  Remember the Literal Democrats a few years ago?

There are no less than 11 independents standing, which may have a diluting effect on the votes cast for party candidates.

I hardly see any names I recognise.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well we certainly need more Independents at the local level, but I wonder who is funding them for the EU elections as presumably they have to pay a deposit and one easily lost in the face of those Party candidates.