cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU Driving Licences

geoffg1
Grafter

EU Driving Licences

I've been told that it's possible to obtain an EU driving licence legally without passing a test in the UK. Has anyone got experience of this. And are these websites genuine, who advertise it?Huh
geoff
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: EU Driving Licences

If you haven't already, you could try looking at these for some guidance:
http://www.dltransfer.com/
or
http://www.easydrivinglicence.com/eu/en/index.html
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think I will apply for a Russian HGV licence and apply for a job as a truck driver, although I can't actually drive one.
geoffg1
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
If you haven't already, you could try looking at these for some guidance:
http://www.dltransfer.com/
or
http://www.easydrivinglicence.com/eu/en/index.html

Thanks for the reply. I did look at both those sites, but was wondering if they're genuine, or just a scam
geoff
Community Veteran

Ah! well I wouldn't know about that. But I did notice that the first one has an Australian base address (see bottom of web page) You pays your money (certainly) and takes your choice (risk maybe)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you might get a piece of plastic, but I dont think it would be valid in the UK, even  foreign nationals have to get a British license after one year.
Eire up to about 2003 did let people get a license without a test
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I thought an EU Driving License was not a license as such (silly name really), but a translation document for a country specific (i.e. a real) driving license?
Aren't you required to carry it when driving within some EU countries, as well as your actual license?
I think anyone can get one, but the scam is these sites imply that getting one entitles you to drive, when it doesn't.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

In the UK you get a plastic card with photo and a separate paper license (D740), in some circumstances you have to produce both.
I used the photo plastic one on EasyJet from Stansted to Belfast last month as identity card
Community Veteran

Only time you need to produce both the card and the counterpart is when requested to do so by the police when you can't produce your documents at the time of request;
Meaning you get given a 7 day wonder (Correct term HORT/1) and you have to produce that licence in person at the nick within 7 days.
Now I've got me legal head off.. those sites definitely don't seem legitimate!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Though what with all it being on a database nowadays, hence can be checked instantly (yes - I've been watching too many police programmes during the day Grin).
I would have thought the need to produce the physical documentation is rare .. unless they suspect something iffy in the first place I guess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In some certain eastern countries you can buy false licences. Apparently its pretty hard for them to check too in those countries. I know someone who was going to do it and then come over here driving around. Needless to say I worked my art of persuasion (lost my rag) and that plan soon changed.
Well.. why the hell should my insurance premium be sky high for some other twat to take the mick and not even take a real test? Thing is over here its also hard for the police to check foreign licences from certain countries so he would of got away with it. Needless to say my powers of persuasion made him take lessons and a proper test here in the UK instead Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Chemical
Only time you need to produce both the card and the counterpart is when requested to do so by the police when you can't produce your documents at the time of request;

Whilst not a *legal* requirement, you are generally required to provide both parts to hire a car too (so they can check you don't have penalty points for example).
Also when test driving cars, they often want to either see both parts, or require you to sign a disclaimer to say you have 9 points or less on your license.
Community Veteran

James G. car hire is not the only place to check both parts. My Toyota dealer wanted to when I was going to use one of their courtesy cars when mine was in for a service. The slighty inexperienced youngster at reception failed to notice initially that my 3 point speeding entry had in fact expired 2 years previously, and because I had a second offense on the green form (which was current) they were not going to loan me a car. However after pointing out the error they allowed the loan (but they have a 6 point limit)
When I acquired the expired speeding ticket on the empty M3 at 08:00 on a very quiet Sunday morning a few years ago (just two cars on that section of motorway, me and a Police traffic car, I simply didn't see it or look for it, I was fully aware that I was speeding) The policeman made his checks (by phone) and it was reported back that I was not insured (I was) I always carry my insurance certificate with me fortunately, and he was able to confirm this. He did say though that had he been unable to do so, then my car would have been impounded (in spite of being fully comprehensively insured) and we would have been taken to the nearest  off motorway point and left to fend for ourselves. His parting shot being that the information available to them is only as good as the operator in-putting the data into the database.
So let that be a warning to you; always carry ALL your motoring documents with you. 

Community Veteran

I realise it might be a question that geoffg may not want to answer (OP) but I'm a little curious why he would want to obtain an EU driving licence in this country (from an iffy source or not) anyway.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
So let that be a warning to you; always carry ALL your motoring documents with you. 

See I'm the other way around. I NEVER carry my documents with me in case they get lost or the car is stolen (with them in it). If the old bill want to pull me over they can give me a producer before I'll give them the keys. I know it doesn't work like that in reality but then I've also memorized my insurance policy number too just for those special occassions with the rozzers. I'm pretty sure they've been targeting me anyway. Every time I speak to my neighbour (who is one of them) about our car thats off the road I find the bill up the top on the main road with ANPR and cop cars at both ends the next day without fail!.
Last year I also had a dodgy speedo that he knew about too. I found myself being followed by 2 plod-mobiles down a A road. Needless to say I pulled over into a farm shop quick lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!