All Star
Fixes: 2

ET Phone home....

6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: ET Phone home....

95 light years away? Not sure I'd even begin to worry about it, if indeed anybody is.

I wonder how long high speed broadband would take to send and receive any message! Such distances are so vast we don't even know that what life intelligent or otherwise would still exist and anyway, they'd avoid our species like the worst sort of plague if the had any sense.

What was it Einstein is supposed to have said, "Intelligent life on other planets? I'm not even sure there is on earth!" 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

What was it Einstein is supposed to have said, "Intelligent life on other planets? I'm not even sure there is on earth!" 

I prefer the Monty Python one;

Eric Idol wrote a very special lyric:

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 
'Cause there's b****r all down here on Earth! 
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Or it could be closer to home.

Suntzeff added that he would not be surprised if the signal was due to a terrestrial origin, because it was observed in part of the radio spectrum used by the military. "God knows who or what broadcasts at 11Ghz, and it would not be out of the question that some sort of bursting communication is done between ground stations and satellites," he said. "I would follow it if I were the astronomers, but I would also not hype the fact that it may be at SETI signal given the significant chance it could be something military."

Source

Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

they'd avoid our species like the worst sort of plague if the had any sense.

Or send in the exterminators to deal with the "pests".

Last time radio signals were detected it turned out to be someone cooking their potato in the microwave at the same time every day.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

198kHz wrote:
God knows who or what broadcasts at 11Ghz

Now there's a revelation, I must be god, because I know that 11GHz is used by DTH Ku-Band (10-12GHz) television satellites... Funny

Maybe they ought to have a looksee at http://www.lyngsat.com/ to see where not to point their radiotelescopes... Crazy

Fixes: 47

Coincidentally I was watching Contact last night, a film I really enjoy, particularly this dialogue near the end of the film.

Shiver up my spine stuff.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation