Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EHIC (European health card) watch out for the scammers

pierre_pierre
Grafter

EHIC (European health card) watch out for the scammers

the card is free from NHS Apply for an EHIC online https://www.ehic.org.uk/
The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.
Everyone who is resident in the UK should have one and carry it with them when travelling abroad. Remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Applying for the card is free and it's valid for up to five years.

but four companies have set up web sites that look official and charge you for supplying the card.
one e111-online.com has voluntarily ceased trading and Ehiconline.com has been been closed by their domain register,
two others www.thejwsgroup.com/ehicservice and www.ehic.uk.com were declared as against trading standard The jws also seems to have disapeared and ehic.uk.com is now redirected to the genuine NHS site
no doubt others will try
3 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: EHIC (European health card) watch out for the scammers

Our EHICs expired on 1st September so, having found they don't renew automatically, I did our applications free on line.
I did notice a site offering to do the application for £9.95 each so looked after doing freebie  - they did say one could apply for £2 at Post Office, free on line or use their service for £9.95
For fun I continued and you had to fill in a form that was as complicated as the freebie - very strange why anyone would use them.
Site was http://www.eu-medicard.com/
nadger
Rising Star

Most surprised when both our new cards arrived this morning - very rapid service  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@pierre, thanks advice, ours comes up for renewal shortly