cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF Zoom Lens on Canon 400D

Fixes: 125

EF Zoom Lens on Canon 400D

Just purchased a Sigma 75-300mm EF zoom lens off ebay (buyer has 100% feedback).
Having problems from the off but before I contact the seller I was wondering if anyone here can help.
Sometimes when I insert the lens I immediately get an Err99 message and can't take any pictures. Occasionally it will auto focus, etc, but as soon as I depress the shutter release I get the Err99 again.
As soon as I put the original lens back all is OK.
A Google search has suggested several possible causes and fixes.
1) Dirty contacts. I have cleaned these.
2) Low battery. I have fully charged it.
3) A camera reset by taking out both the main and backup bateries and leaving the camera in the on position for 20 minutes. Turn off the camera and replace batteries. Tried this but no change.
I haven't got another camera body to test the zoom on so I am thinking of asking a local camera shop to do this for me.
Meanwhile, has anyone else experienced this error and rectified it.
Edit Title and text

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: EF Zoom Lens on Canon 400D

I have a Sigma 18-200 for my 400D and there are contacts on the inner end, a group of 5 small ones, a single longer one and a single small one.
Do these look in good condition?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

They look clean enough but seem flatter (not so raised) than those on the original lens (I've added a few pics).
I've also noticed that there is no definite click as you turn the lens on the camera body when fitting but there is with the original lens.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

Quote from: Mav
I've also noticed that there is no definite click as you turn the lens on the camera body when fitting but there is with the original lens.

Hmmm...that's a little worrying as it could mean the lens isn't locating correctly and therefore the contacts aren't aligning properly.
My camera body lens mount has a small milled slot into which a pin on the lens engages when I fit the lens making a click sound as it does so.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Just got back from the local (15 miles away) camera shop.
The camera worked fine with two of their Canons. As soon as he put it back in mine.. ERR99 again  Cry
He cleaned the connectors and tried again without any luck.
He said the lens is quite old (over 10 years) which can be a bit hit and miss apparently. Even camera bodies that appear to to work OK one day could through up this ERR99 another and never work again - something to do with the chips in the lens and camera.
There is a definite click wjhen inserting the lens on my camera so, it seems, not a duff lens just incompatible with my particular camera.
See ifI can re-sell it on eBay.