cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE - The Good, The Bad...

Fixes: 125

EE - The Good, The Bad...

The good...
A couple of weeks ago I was searching Google innocuously on my S4 Mini at my mother's using a data connection and not WiFi as her Sky connection is useless. I selected a link which then started to open multiple pages which I attempted to shut as quickly as possible and navigate away then thought nothing more till I woke the next morning with a text telling me I have been charged £9 for watching a video at 04:07 - I was asleep then, honest. I won't give the full details of what I was supposed to have watched in a family-friendly forum but, by the wording, it was of an adult nature.
I rang EE who said they couldn't help as it was charged by a third party. I rang the number in the text several times and just got voicemail. I also sent emails to the company in question all of which bounced back (3 different addresses). Further investigation showed that the company in question is well known to PhonepayPlus and had recently been fined £150,000 so I lodged a complaint with them. Also the EE forums had many messages about them, too.
Telephoned EE again with the same result - nothing they can do to reverse the charge. I then emailed a complaint to EE and the next day received a call apologising for the lack of support and that the £9 charge has been reversed and a £25 credit has been added to my account. Smiley
The bad...
Today I noticed I had been charged 21p+VAT for an SMS to an 0779 number. Ok, 21p isn't much but what if it was the beginning of further over-charging. I had an online chat with EE who said I had been charged because the number was out of the UK at the time the txt was received and, therefore, chargeable. This didn't seem right so checked my tariff and their forums and everything led me to believe it should have been within my allowance so had another online chat to be told the same thing as before. I posted links confirming what was in the forums and she finally agreed to refund the 21p and put a note on my account that I should not be charged for these texts. But I got the feeling she believed she was still right.
So, another email to their complaints department for confirmation as to who is right.
I'm quite certain that texts and calls to UK mobile numbers while abroad do not incur extra charges and are part of call/text allowances and that it is the receiving party that pay extra as part of their roaming deal.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: EE - The Good, The Bad...

I'm with O2 and never encountered this sort of a problem.
Fixes: 47

I have this on my recent bill (T Mobile)
18 Apr SAT 14:23 EE Code Request Text Rec'd 0.292

I'm unsure what it is.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The good, The bad, and The uglEE... Grin
Never had issues like that myself on Three, the only issue I have with them is the lack of decent price plans now they scrapped their unlimited tethering plans (abused by scrotes who torrented terabytes of data a month, bogging down networks and spoiling it for the rest of us)... Grin
Community Veteran

@Strat, I'm on a monthly plan with O2 and never use my full allocation of texts or minutes so don't get to see items like that.

I'm currently on unlimited data, 750 minutes and unlimited texts.
I average 40 minutes per month out of that 750 minutes.
I'm due for an 'upgrade' in June and would be looking for substantially more than the 4GB of data that's in my price range in exchange for less than unlimited minutes on offer.
They won't do that though because, as they tell me "we make our money on the data"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
They won't do that though because, as they tell me "we make our money on the data"

Ain't that the truth... Roll eyes
Still, like phonelines, the call & text use will diminish to the point where you're just paying for line rental and internet access so they'll HAVE to do something about making the data more affordable, like Three did until they pulled The One Plan... Grin

The plan I'm currently on is called Full Monty, quite appropriate for Sheffield where I live.

I hope they don't strip you of your unlimited data Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

I'll make sure I keep my hat on Wink
Marksfish
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
I'm quite certain that texts and calls to UK mobile numbers while abroad do not incur extra charges and are part of call/text allowances and that it is the receiving party that pay extra as part of their roaming deal.

You are correct, no extra charges to the caller, but charges can be/ are made to the recipient (definitely for phone calls, not usually texts). Methinks someone is having a bad day and not knowing. More disturbing though is the fact that their automated billing system has added this to your account.
Mark

Quote from: Marksfish
Methinks someone is having a bad day and not knowing.
It was actually two people which makes it worse!
At the time I couldn't remember who I sent the text to then I remembered that someone had left a cheque on my daughter's horse's lunch box. There was just a trading name on the cheque so had to do a fair bit of detective work and eventually found a mobile number for who I thought the cheque belonged to and sent a text to confirm. I then got a call back from a lady telling me she was abroad (Spain, I think) and the cheque was meant for the stable owner.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Speaking of EE, just managed to get a PUK code from them to unlock my mothers blocked sim via the automated phone line without any check on account security!
If you know the phone number attached to the EE sim card its pointless setting a pin code to protect that sim card if they just hand over the PUK code to bypass / change it that easily.  Roll eyes

I knew I could access a PUK via my online account but someone would need my username and password.
That 'over the phone' method does seem a bit poor to say the least.
janitor
Grafter

Bad customer service from EE, who would have thought it Smiley