cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Power Bar

Fixes: 47

EE Power Bar

I visited the EE shop in the centre of Sheffield today to get an EE Power Bar.
I had followed instructions and sent my text to 365 at a cost of 35p and received my code.
I had heard about the queues outside EE shops when this offer went live but was pleasantly surprised to find I had a mere 20 minutes wait for my Power Bar.
It's 100mm long x 25mm diameter with one standard USB socket, one micro USB socket and an LED on one end. The LED is a torch.
On the side are 4 tiny LEDs to indicate charge state and a button to operate the torch.
It's also supplied with a short cable and instructions.
The instructions state the device, fully charged has a capacity of 2600mAh so not bad.
Mine will probably spend it's days in the glove box of my car and yes there have been situations where a passenger has spent the entire journey on her phone only to realise on arrival that her battery is now nearly dead.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: EE Power Bar

Quote from: Strat
Mine will probably spend it's days in the glove box of my car and yes there have been situations where a passenger has spent the entire journey on her phone only to realise on arrival that her battery is now nearly dead.

If that's the case, then turn your car into a rolling mobile phone charger... Grin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251799779730

Don't you think that and a taxi service is enough for the poor thing Sad
The aforementioned person could quite easily have plugged her phone in and had it charge during the journey......but that's far too obvious Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

bear in mind that the charger is only on loan to you and remains the property of EE.
it's an 18 month loan and if the ask for it back and you don't have it then they'll charge you £5.
i read the small print in the agreement and decided not to take them up on their "generous" offer.
EE will have made a nice little profit from this no doubt as i reckon it will have cost them less than 35p per device to buy them in.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

On the day of the launch, one of our Sons went to the main EE shop in their nearest Town, Stockport, with codes for himself and his Girlfriend, at 10am.
There was no-one else in the shop, he was attended to immediately, and came away with a couple of PowerBars.
The shop assistant said it was a soft launch, and not many had heard of the offer.
When arriving back home, both the PB's were of low charge, and had to be charged before use, around 4 hours.
(Internet search seems to show this was common)
Once charged, they behaved perfectly, although only intended as a quick partial charge whilst out & about, a smartphone and an older flip phone were both fully charged within a couple of hours, having been let run down before.
This doesn't bode well for the practise of swapping a discharged PB for a "charged" one in an EE shop though, and apart from having to make a special trip to do so, it is very easy to just recharge the PB at home, the connectors are Standard.
He said the LED "torch" was OK, if a little underpowered, it also has a flashing mode...
As always with a potential time limited offer, a note was made on the receipts for 18 months hence, just in case EE do want the "knackered" PBs returned !!
Why 18 months ?
I suspect that as 18 months is approx 540 days, and the PBs are rated at 500 cycles, if they are discharged and recharged every day, that is the end of their "useful" life.
I don't think this will happen though, EE reclaiming back all the PBs, can you imagine the logistics and costs involved !

Personally, I have other AA battery powered devices of a few years standing that do the same job admirably, and travel with us all over the World...
Even a couple I made myself !!
Fixes: 125

I was all for applying for one till I found the text would cost 35p Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
On the day of the launch, one of our Sons went to the main EE shop in their nearest Town, Stockport, with codes for himself and his Girlfriend, at 10am.
There was no-one else in the shop, he was attended to immediately, and came away with a couple of PowerBars.
When arriving back home, both the PB's were of low charge, and had to be charged before use, around 4 hours.

He sent me this photo, the PBs being cylindrical rolled around, and he wanted to see the state of charge according to the LEDs, so he put a couple of cable ties around each one....... no rolling !!
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

I'm getting one of these on my lunch. I'll probably just use it for festivals.
Word around here has it that they're pretty oversized. Correct?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I was all for applying for one till I found the text would cost 35p Grin

Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

Quote from: MattyC
Word around here has it that they're pretty oversized. Correct?

Quote from: Strat
It's 100mm long x 25mm diameter......
Infinity
Pro

EE Issue Recall for some EE Powerbars
“EE has identified a very small number of incidents where Power Bars have overheated, all of which relate to batch E1-06 (written as Model: E1-06 on the side of the device), and could pose a fire safety risk,.”
E1-06 are most likely later supplies, such as those issued later on after EE ran out of them earlier on this year
E1-01 were the first batch issued.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/11784975/ee-recalls-power-bars.html

Mine's fine....but I've removed it from the glove box.
Infinity
Pro

The EE Power Bar appears to use the 18650 rechargeable battery.
This battery is widely used in high power Torches
The 18650 rechargeable batteries are Li-ion batteries, and are available in protected and unprotected forms.
Unprotected products do not have any shutoff mechanisms or other safety features, so owners should practise caution when charging them.
Previously, I have never purchased or used unprotected cells, too many bad stories on Electronics Forums.
Improper handling of 18650 batteries can result in damage to the batteries and electronic devices, as well as harm to the user.
The electronics used to accept 5v charging, and provide a 5v output, are not in themselves any protection from a dodgy battery
I wonder if EE saved money on later batches by using unprotected cells, a financial decision made by someone who doesn't understand the technology, as is so often the case these days !

http://www.ee.co.uk/power-bar-recall?WT.MC_ID=ON_MEC_S_GoogleAdWords_G_BRAND-Power_Bar&WT.srch=1

Community Veteran

Infinity
Pro

Exploding Power Bars:
EE couldn't even get the CE safety mark right
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/13/ee_power_bar_wrong_ce_marking/

We have four Power Bars between us...
Three v1.01 all have incorrect CE markings, the letters being too close together
The recalled v1.06...... has the correct C E markings and spacing...
Go Figure !
Rang EE shop, they are offering a £20 voucher, to be spent online at EE, when you return Power Bar...
Which you probably transport in your Car, or even in a coat pocket...
Not now you don't !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ew43u2gS0Y

My PB goes
Boom bang-a-bang, boom bang-a-bang
When you are near
Boom bang-a-bang, boom bang-a-bang
Loud in my ear
Pounding away, pounding away
Will you be fine?
Boom bang-a-bang-bang all the time