Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Thought I'd replied to this topic, but no - must have been a similar one. Smiley

E-oN  offered me a 'smartie' about 18 months back, I said I didn't think they would get a signal from where my meter is. They said 'OK, we'll come and check, you never know'. Engineer turns up, asks where the meter was 'Down in the cellar under my front room'. Goes into cellar, five seconds later he's back. 'You are correct, sir - we'd have to reposition your meter outside, and we don't want the cost - Goodbye'.

John
Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

@jab1 Really! Do smarties supply so much energy? Perhaps for suckers, maybe.Funny

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I am with EDF being in London and I've never seen the point in "Smart" meters.
They go on as if the planet is going to implode should you not have one.
Then go on how to save energy, errm.

Should I:

"Cook less"
"Try and see in the dark"
"Use my PC and Mac without electricity" (may have to raise a tech query about that on here Tongue).
"Shower less"
"Freeze during the winter season"

Bad enough when Thames Water have forced everyone to have water meters installed. To add insult to injury they then send you propaganda to justify it:

"Water is a scarce resource".

Now I don't know about you, but I had to laugh. Clearly the PR company who wrote that had some long lunches.

I don't think you need to have a Geography degree to know that it is not the case and quite a lot of water exists on Earth. 

jab1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@Luzern Nope, They - smart meters - don't need much energy, but they do need to be reachable for them to be smart, and down in my DEEP stone-lined cellars, they ain't.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 37

@Alex wrote:
I don't think you need to have a Geography degree to know that it is not the case and quite a lot of water exists on Earth. 

You don't, but what you do need to know is the amount of 'Fresh Water' in the World is less than 1% of all water on the planet so it is a 'scarce resource' and should be used with thought and consideration.

Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 67

As I understand it the amount of water on earth does not change, be it in liquid, solid or gaseous state at any time. The problem is having sufficient potable water. So next time you have a drink think, this water might have been passed by a Pharaoh..

wotsup
Grafter

Yup, only around 1% of fresh water on earth is obtainable, and of that 1% over 70% is needed for agriculture.   Israel is undoubtedly the best at recycling water, they recycle over 90% of waste water and are able to grow some amazing crops as a result.  Fresh water is a scarce resource, we can do without many things but water is not one of them.