cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Smart Meters = enormous confidence trick. Unwittingly paid for by all domestic electricity users regardless of whether we want or need them.

They are just the first step towards "load spreading" because the industry/Gov't couldn't get their act together on power generation facilities. Consequently, we're teetering on the edge of a capacity/demand catastrophe if we have a major power station outage on a cold overcast windless winter's day. Yet the tree-huggers are pushing towards all electric vehicles even though the National Grid Network lacks the capacity for wholesale car charging..

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
usman

yes i love to instal smart meter to my home thanks.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Smart Meters = enormous confidence trick. Unwittingly paid for by all domestic electricity users regardless of whether we want or need them.

They are just the first step towards "load spreading" because the industry/Gov't couldn't get their act together on power generation facilities. Consequently, we're teetering on the edge of a capacity/demand catastrophe if we have a major power station outage on a cold overcast windless winter's day. Yet the tree-huggers are pushing towards all electric vehicles even though the National Grid Network lacks the capacity for wholesale car charging..

@AlaricAdair

National Grid don't seem to think there's a problem. Higher forecast plant margin this coming winter than last. See attached.

Gythral8PNC
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

All these so called smart meters do is cost money and increase risks to supply.

waste time while getting installed

tell me nothing that I do not already know

have all the security of IoT on a mobile phone network (ie NONE)

will save me zero pence & are actually costing me money even though I've not got one

& SSE, have been told I am not interested, they can do it when the current meter breaks, still send me letters every 3 weeks telling me that they are in the area, do I want to arrange an install!

Luzern
All Star

I am not having one at least for time being, but it does seem the SMETS2 are more secure, and work to a different communication system. MSE has an interesting thread.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's a bit shocking, when looking at different suppliers, to find out if you want them you have to agree to have their smart meter installed.

This doesn't seem right somehow. I don't have a smart meter, don't want one, but it looks like I will eventually be forced to have one.

I always thought the government said the choice was mine but that now seems a lie. Looks like we are all going to eventually be forced to have one.

wotsup
Grafter

Smart meters only make sense if they plan to have different electricity tariffs at certain times of day and weekends etc. I already have a monitor to tell me how much electricity I am using - it cost me £20 about 6 years ago and is called an OWL Micro+,  tells me everything a smart meter would.  It is very misleading to tell people that smart meters can save you money,  they do nothing at all to save you money in themselves ( see comment about differential tariffs at start of post), I would put good money on a bet that after the first week or so ( once the novelty has worn off ) hardly anyone even looks at the energy usage display.  Another badly implemented government scheme ( target) that did not sort out the basics before rolling out.  Why use the mobile phone network when many other countries use the actual power cables to transmit and receive data ? Why does your smart meter become dumb if you change supplier ? 

It takes me less than 10 minutes to take readings for my supplier,  that includes finding the key to the meter cabinets and sending the email.  I would have a meter fitted if they promised me it really would save me money by having 'economy 7' type tariff if I used washing machine and other power hungry stuff during the night.  I believe smart meters have the capacity to disconnect supply,  they had this facility in Australia decades ago where at peak times water heaters could be disconnected by a signal sent down the power lines to reduce peak load on power stations - why don't smart meters have this 'load shedding' capacity - so many opportunities missed by this hasty and botched government scheme,  just like their cavity wall insulation scheme was badly implemented and has subject many of its 'victims' to badly installed insulation and continual damp problems.

I would like to know how the government is going to get round the problem of household electricity attracting 5% VAT while Diesel and petrol attract over 70% 'duty' - now that household supply can be used to charge vehicles will smart meters offer a way to charge extra if power is used to charge a vehicle ( via a chip in the charging lead and vehicle).   Government coffers will take a big hit if this 5% is allowed to continue,  the only other way will be to introduce road pricing for all vehicles.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 13

I've been with Bulb for a year now, and they've not mentioned smart meters to me at all. They have stated on their forum that no one will be pressured to have one.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 67

I have had the very hard sell and ended up telling EDF in no uncertain terms that in accordance with my statutory rights I was not having a smart meter.. After an email exchange I have had a promise not to be contacted over this subject again. What a stupid con these things are. The only possible use I can see is if they are to be used for peak time charging. I can imagine the reaction I would get if I said to SWMBO that by only boiling exactly enough water for her immediate need we would save half a penny each time and she could monitor these massive savings if she studied the display that was cluttering up her kitchen.

I could of course tell her that she could save even more if she cooked on a bonfire in the garden, but that would definitely be more than I would dare suggest, I enjoy her cooking my food too much!.

I'll just stick with progressively updating appliances to low energy replacements and read the meter every three months.

Fixes: 173

@wotsup wrote:

I already have a monitor to tell me how much electricity I am using - it cost me £20 about 6 years ago and is called an OWL Micro+,  tells me everything a smart meter would.

As the Owl is only for electricity and not gas it didn't give me the full picture, hence my Smart Meters.

I had an Owl meter for a few years and when I had Smart Meters installed I inevitably compared the readings on the Owl v the Smart Meter.

I found the Owl was reading higher than the Smart Meter by a small percentage.

My Smart Meter display device is on my computer desk where it gets glanced at frequently.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Baldrick1
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 67

Most cheap energy monitors simply have a clip on current transformer fed to a display or transmitter fed from a dc power supply. These use the average domestic voltage and assume unity power factor to estimate the energy consumed so can only ever give an estimate.

Luzern
All Star

SP have relatively innocuous, accepting that to get to your account you have to pass through offers of smart meters, and boiler servicing,

sp devious.gifHowever, having recently supplied readings, and declined their change in DD, I got a deceitful devious email. I don't recall the first email: they can pull the other one with bells on it.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

But they will get you in the end.......!

What they will do is make sure all the cheapest deals include in the contract that you have a smart meter thereby ensuring those without smart meters are paying the most for their energy.

The government are applying considerable pressure on the energy companies to get these things installed so you can be certain that the offers made to those agreeing to a meter will improve whilst those without will pay even more.

Yes it's a scam, I am of the opinion that the government think most of the population are thick or indifferent whilst the government knows whats best for us.

I wonder if they have these smart meters in Russia ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Luzern wrote:

SP have relatively innocuous, accepting that to get to your account you have to pass through offers of smart meters, and boiler servicing,

sp devious.gifHowever, having recently supplied readings, and declined their change in DD, I got a deceitful devious email. I don't recall the first email: they can pull the other one with bells on it.

Will not be long before you get a email to say due to system changes we will no longer be able to supply your gas or electricity unless you have a smart meter installed by (date)

We do not want you to be without a supply so hurry ...Act today...as we are now in your area.

Grin

Community Veteran

@198kHz wrote:

I've been with Bulb for a year now, and they've not mentioned smart meters to me at all. They have stated on their forum that no one will be pressured to have one.

I'm also with Bulb and they have put me under no pressure to have a meter fitted. I asked them if they were going to install meters and they said they were working on getting the technology right first.