cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Just received a letter from EDF energy, extolling the vitues of Smart Meters...

with words like..

.. "you`ll only pay for what you use".... WOW !... Gee  ... Thanks..    ( I already do that  ! !  )

No more hassle reading the meter,   - never thought of it as a "hassle"... just something I do...

No more estimated bills... --   I pay on receipt of my meter reading bill,... so it is never an estimate bill...

You can see exactly how much you`re using in pounds and pence.... - not really "that" interested...

if I need to boil a kettle for tea, or put the electric fire on, or have the lights on while watching the telly, ... I know it will add pennies to the bill, per hour... certainly won`t need to be watching a digital display racking it up... rather watch the telly,  ( though which will be more entertaining is debatable ! ! )..

Could help you save money...  even Yokshumen know that if you switch off the lights when not needed, or only use enough water to fill the teapot, in an electric kettle will save money... ! .

then it tells me to "register your interest at edfenergy.com/itseasy"  

Yeah  ..... right oh !...

in small print at the bottom of this "glowing advert" for how brilliant my life will be with a smart meter installed is the following

"Very occasionally, problems with connection might mean your smart meter can`t send us a meter reading.

If this happens, we`ll try to contact you, for a manual one.

But if we don`t get this from you,... we`ll send you an estimated bill... "

Hah, yes.... VERY SMART  !.....

No thanks...

15 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: EDF energy - Smart Meters are coming

Didn't have a letter..but a couple of days ago I had a knock at the door. A chap from E.on showed his I.D. and continued to ask who was my energy supplier. "E.on" I said. He then went into the chat of these so-called smart meters and at the end asked how I pay for my energy (I get both electric and gas from them). "I pay by pre-payment cards" was my answer..he then promptly said "O.K., sorry to disturb you" and walked off with no explanation as to why using pre-payment cards made any difference.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

You can use prepayment cards with smart meters, it's just a slightly different system in that the payments go direct to your meter without having to shove the card or key into the meter to top it up, guess that E.on person didn't know the product they were selling... Smiley

That said, if I had E.on at the door, I'd tell them to P.off...Grin

Pete11
Pro

@twocvbloke

Funny  Thumbs Up

I'm already looking for a new supplier cos when I think about it...if a rep from a company doesn't know the product then surely they're not worth staying with.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

They aren't "from the company" they are hired at MINIMUM WAGE + bonus for each one s/he manages to "sell".
Same as the collectors for "name a charity here"
Pete11
Pro

@HairyMcbiker

Fair comment and understood, but if they don't know that people can still use smart-meters with top-up cards..then why send them round in the first place? When I used to do some selling, I had to sit with company reps first to make sure I knew the product I was selling like the back of my hand. Having said that, fishing tackle isn't exactly rocket science. I still had to know the breaking strain of rods and lines and know about which lure dives deep and which skim along the surface though.

Community Veteran

I think most of us are still waiting for smart meters. All people are being offered at the moment is something that tells them directly how much energy they are using and the cost.

If this is what power companies call "smart" I assume all their management are also "smart".

Community Veteran

So far I'm not seeing much "smartness" from my smart meters, just a remote way to be switched off by the mighty fuehrer, I mean prime minister when there's not enough energy to go around due to a lack of power stations and an influx of electric boogaloo cars, it "updates" at Midnight, and doesn't get reflected in my account for 6 to 8 hours, the app is just a mirror of their website (Ovo Energy) & only guesstimates how much energy I have remaining in terms of "days left", rather than down to the hour or minute, and the IHD (In-Home Display) is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard on the Smart PAYG+ service as it just shows what you've used over some period I've not figured out, the "using now" meters are fun to watch for the first 5 minutes, but overall it's just gathering dust...

As for saving energy, nope, hasn't changed anything really, I have made changes to energy usage, but it's more of a logical evolution, old Philips CFLs (the ones British Gas & other companies handed out for free years back) conked out over time & the drawer that used to be filled with them was depleted, so I bought LED bulbs, slightly less power used, but not exactly enough to negate the ever-increasing costs of electrickery...

There's nowt "smart" about the smart meters, it's just a meter with a built-in mobile phone that sends a text to the supplier with the readings, that's it...

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

EDF are the most incompetent £$%^s I've ever had the misfortune to deal with.

It took two attempts to install my Smart meters and even then only the electricity supplied data that I could view online.

At one point they asked me to change my account password so they could log on as me to see what I was seeing Crazy3

I eventually gave up with them and transferred to Eon who, on first impressions, seem just as useless.

I received my final bill via post the other day and as you would expect it's bloody estimated Ticked off

I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Fixes: 47

Try nPower.

They installed smart meters in my house but it was over a year later that they finally had the ability to remotely read them.

During that time I had to either send in readings manually or allow entry to a meter reader.

Even now I occasionally have to provide readings as they haven't taken readings remotely since September.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

All grist to the mill, lads.... thanks for those gems !!!..

EDF... well, I have been with them for 3 or 4 years now.... tariff is Pay on demand.... so every month they send me an email, saying what the minimum payment should be ( like I was on a direct debit amount )... and then I read my meter, ( 5 feet away from the laptop)... log in on the site. to my account... enter the meter readings, and two days later I get an "up to date" bill, which I then log into my bank account and pay immediately...

I don`t consider that to be any "hassle" as they put it... and the bill is "accurate" as to what I have used, and not an estimated bill .... so how would a so-called smart meter be any more effective from my point of view? 

None whatsoever......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We do not have a smart meter and based on the comments made by forum members I will continue to refuse to have one.

Seems there is a newer version of smart meter available that would allow you to change supplier and still use the meter unlike the old ones which seem to stop working for some people if the supplier is changed.

The government seem to be putting pressure on energy companies to get these things installed, perhaps it's something to do with meeting some targets, as we are paying the cost is not a issue for the government.

Steve
Pro

Even though I emailed them twice months ago they still insist on sending me things in the mail addressed to me. Below is the latest, 

IMG_20171130_121206.jpgIMG_20171130_121217.jpgIMG_20171130_121228.jpg

Steve
Pro

I just talked with SSE on twitter this is the response I got when I told them to stop sending me the above as I do not want a smart meter. Time will tell.

Thanks for confirming your details, I've spoken with the smart metering team and they have assured me you should receive nothing further after today's date.

Community Veteran

I sent an email to EDF yesterday about not wanting a Smart Meter, but have not had any kind of reply.......

Meanwhlile, when I logged on this morning at 0830,... and email from them, suggested my latest bill was ready to view,... so I opened the meter cupboard next to the laptop... took the readings, logged in to "view the bill"  passed on the current readings, and signed off....  now waiting for the updated "non estimated" bill, which will show me how much I have used, and how much it will cost me.... 

Smart ?  Yeah... ` course I am.... Cheesy