cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-coli

community
Grafter

E-coli

Following on from the previous thread about dishwashers.
I just got back from a P+O Ferries trip to North Germany (via Rotterdam)
On the return boat, I took a buffet dinner as usual.
I had a meal which included some  partly cooked vegetables which is quite normal for me because I just like them.
During the night and for the next couple of days, I was very sick with stomach pain and toilet visits and my BP went down to 78/58 (self monitored)
I thought I was leaving the planet. I almost passed out.
Thankfully this morning, I have partly recovered. The human body has many wonderful self-help remedies.....
The reason I headed this thread "E-coli" is fairly obvious, unless you've been in hibernation for the last couple of months!
I am just wondering now if there are those amongst us who have had this experience and woud like to recount to us their experiences?
I also wonder if I perhaps should contact P+O and report to them what I have experienced..... any thoughts on that? Personally I think that they would not want to
pursue it...but then I have always been sceptical...
10 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: E-coli

Yes Report it to P&O
nadger
Rising Star

Definitely report it to P&O as you don't know whether others were affected.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You should also report it to your doctor....ask him for a quick check up, to make sure you have recovered... but also ask him to take swabs for examination.... just because you feel "better" does not mean the "sickness" has left your system completely... his swabs for testing should identify any remaining bugs, and also provide evidence (if needed) for any claim with P&O.... also he may well be obliged to report it to the relevant government department .
Community Veteran

Also report it to the Public health authorities.  They will visit the vessel and check it out.
community
Grafter

Thanks to those who replied to my thread here.
Just to clear up what eventually happened, I 'dragged' myself to the doc's and told him the full story.
His reaction was that it certainly wasn't e-coli because if it was  then I wouldn't have been able  to get to him!
He thought however that it might be salmonella or the like, and gave me gaviscon and lansoprazole to take.
I have to say that after a couple of days I am feeling some improvement and hope that he has done the trick!
I am glad that I didn't react too soon and inform any other authorities before getting the advice from my doctor.
You may wish to agree or disagree on that....... Undecided
cheers
Eddie Johnson
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Even if it was "only" salmonella.......
there is (was) a public health risk,
IF you contracted it on board the ferry from the food you had eaten and the Port health authority should be informed....
If you were the only case, then not a big problem.... they won`t harrass you for it....
however if you are one of 50 or so (more or less will not matter).... then a proper investigation would be initiated to track down the source of the salmonella infection.... it is a potentially life threatening bug so not to be dismissed lightly...
Community Veteran

I have to agree with shutter on this one.  There could be a problem on the vessel which will infect future passengers.
nadger
Rising Star

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Most of us carry e-coli around in our gut, it is quite natural.
It is just some strains which cause problems.
It is a bit of a worry that e-coli is widely used in genetic engineering.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Only time I had anything like this was on a holiday in Spain many years ago. It felt like someone had a knife in my stomach and was twisting it around, added to that was the other symptoms described in the original post.
Never want to experience anything like that again !