cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

Highlighted
Pro

Re: E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

@gleneagles Yes, we're all going to die.

Probably the only totally inarguable fact there is.

Unless medical science comes up with something of course. . .Smiley

But why do anything that you don't have to do to possibly hurry it along?

Why take chances like that? 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minesapint 

As some wag said, ' I got more out of alcohol than alcohol got out of me.'

The point is if someone could guarantee you would live to 100 if you did not smoke, consume alcohol , eat the correct foods, etc would it be worth it to be a miserable (censored) compared to having a enjoyable life doing the things that give you pleasure but departing this life a lot sooner. ?

Of course you may well suffer from various problems caused by using these various things but there is no guarantee that you will not suffer even if you do not use such things.

Personally I do not care what others wish to drink, smoke, sniff up their noses, eat the wrong foods etc providing it does not effect me in any way.

Highlighted
Pro

@gleneagles 

I'm actually inclined to agree. It's up to the individual.

However while smoking is a well known killer, and smokers on the whole don't tend make old bones despite somebody's relative having lived to be 106 while smoking 106 a day.

I know i'm a reformed smoker, and we tend to be a bit "anti", but I never think about it these days, and honestly don't see what smokers really get from it.

I know what they think they get from it, but that's a different thing.

I like a drink myself, fortunately not got a problem with it, but the risks of drinking in moderation, are I think less than those of smoking.

At the end of the day though, life is a series of risks.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

"Personally I do not care what others wish to drink, smoke, sniff up their noses, eat the wrong foods etc providing it does not effect me in any way".

Neither do I up to a point and if it's done in private, but it's not and it does 'frighten the horses'.

Needles left in public spaces, out of their skulls either on the street or behind the wheel plus of course all the crime commited in order to pay for it. Eat the wrong foods and we find health is affected short and long term which puts an extra strain on those resources we all have to pay for.

"No man is an island entire of itself; ...  "  Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman 

Yes, agreed but on the other hand many of these folk will live a much shorter ( and miserable) life, so any cost of additional services they need arising out of their addition may well be off set by the savings in the pension they will never live to collect.

I sound like a government accountant in making that statement. !

Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Malthus would have been proud of you! Wink

"....observed that an increase in a nation's food production improved the well-being of the populace, but the improvement was temporary because it led to population growth"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus