Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

It does puzzle me why that stuff is still is still being sold let alone on open display. Stick them out of sight alongside those ciggies? I'll give it a year before they start doing it.

As for animals running away from smoke a report tells us that in the same part of the world, birds of prey such as kites and falcons are picking up and then dropping smouldering twigs to smoke out mice an insects. 

Whatever next. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

As for animals running away from smoke a report tells us that in the same part of the world, birds of prey such as kites and falcons are picking up and then dropping smouldering twigs to smoke out mice an insects. 

Whatever next. Roll_eyes

Certain birds of prey and Kookaburras in Oz do wait around the edges of fires to catch the snakes, lizards and various small animals fleeing from the flames and also sift through the ashes afterwards to find 'cooked' stuff - yummmmm !

Highlighted
Pro

@wotsup  I was only reading something about that the other day.

They're there for the tasty grub though, not for the smoke itself.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I doubt any animal other than a human could even hold a cigarette let light one up and smoke it, but I'm sure deep in my fading memory there was a monkey that did... or how about this lot? 

download.jpg

A Friend in Need (1903) – poker, cheating.

Coolidge. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I seem to remember that.

Was it a zoo monkey that got hooked picking up still lit dog ends?

Highlighted
Pro

@Minivanman 

You remember the "Father Ted" episode where he was explaining "near and far away" to Father Dougal?

Well let me explain about "real" and "fantasy". . . Funny

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

There are animals that intentionally seek out fermenting fruit to get drunk on, some insects are also attracted by the smell of the naturally fermenting alcohols from rotting plant matter (Fruit Flies for one, irritating little youknowwhats), so the alcohol aspect isn't limited to just humans, but smoking is, why, how and where it started, goodness knows, but it's one of them centuries, if not millennia old things...

Only smoking I'd want to do is that of meats, cold smoking preserves it, hot smoking just makes it flippin' delicious!!! Azn

Highlighted
Pro

@twocvbloke 

Now you know very well that smoked and processed meat is bad for you.

(Said he having just had some very nice ham) Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

What's even more dangerous for someone's health is getting between me and my smoke-preserved animal flesh... Knuppel

Highlighted
Pro

Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Champion

@twocvbloke  Its all Walts fault...so says Bob NewhartThumbs_Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XDxAzVEbN4

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Spent the day yesterday with an old friend of ours starting with attending service at his church in Cardiff. Not a God thing for me it never has been but, they do have a rather good choir so... 

Anyway.

He runs a pretty high church affair and always goes overboard with the incense burner which gets waved around with undisguised enthusiasm and so much so, that the place was half choked with the stuff which got me wondering as he gave forth from the pulpit if places of worship are exempt from a ban on smoking in a public place and if so, why.

Any regulars know?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

That's a rather good question, incense burners in certain shops too can be quite strong and smoky, and people are breathing that in as a raw, unfiltered airborne haze of smoke... Huh

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Holy smoke Batman.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The fact is we are all going to die, some people appear to have more resistance to the effects of certain pollutions than others, there will always be some 90 year old man who has smoked a pipe all his life or someone who has downed countless pints every day and is still going strong at 100.....

So pollutions do effect some people in different ways.

On the BBC news today it was claimed that double the number of firemen die of cancer at a earlier age than the average population due to inhaling fumes whilst attending fires....if those figures are correct then this might support what I said earlier that people are effected in different ways.

As for alcohol, impossible to really ban it as it's so easy to make, although I am aware certain American states and some countries do ban it but I suspect anyone wanting it can easily get it.