cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

Highlighted
Pro

Re: E-cigs..... a SERIOUS warning, from Australia

And yet again, leaving the house, taking baths, walking on the pavement, and everything else are risks we have to take.

They're the risks of being alive.

Vaping isn't a risk we have to take. It really is that simple.

So, again, why do it?

Cigarettes have been with us a lot longer, and if it started now, assuming the risks were known,  it would probably be banned.

And that's apart from the massive tobacco industry lobby, and the taxes for the government of the day to waste of course. 

And so what about the Daily Mail?

The whole of the media is all bias, opinion, and misrepresentation.

I don't think much of The Mail. So I don't generally read it. I don't generally read the Guardian either.

In fact I try to get my news from several sources to try to get some balance. 

And "people" have done some research.

They have found at least some evidence to say vaping is dangerous.

And so can't see why anyone would want to do it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minesapint wrote:

They have found at least some evidence to say vaping is dangerous.

But yet again, that evidence is based on a minority set of cases involving variables that for the majority are not an issue...

You don't have to drive a car, but people do and handle volatile fuel every day which in the minority of cases can catch fire and kill, therefore driving is dangerous (never mind the crash statistics, pedestrian RTCs, DUIs, etc.), but that isn't banned either...

It's misrepresentation of minor facts, yes there's an element of truth in them, but as with every example that can be thought up, a single piece of the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle doesn't reveal the whole picture...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Now if you'll excuse me, I've shopping to go do, I might not survive the excursion based on minority case dangers, but I most likely will be fine... Crazy

Highlighted
Pro

Really, you're arguing the inarguable.

A car might kill you in various ways, but we accept the risks for the sake of the convenience it brings.

Fires are dangerous in a lot of ways, but they're handy for cooking our grub and keeping warm.

The list of dangerous things is endless.

But the reason we do a lot of them has some valid reason.

Even climbing mountains, or racing a motorbike around the Isle of Man has a sense of purpose and achievement.

However vaping has to be one of the most pointless things I can think of.

It achieves nothing, apart from profit for the companies who make and distribute the paraphernalia.

So whether the "minor dangers" are misrepresented or not, (and I don't call the risk of dying minor) then I can't see why anyone would do it.

Do enjoy your shopping trip. Stay safe.

And don't vape! 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well, I didn't contract Gopher Buttcheek Disease, so I've survived the trip... Crazy

Meandering down the booze aisle though, I was looking at the various spirits, and I thought about why do people drink strong alcohol, and I too couldn't see a true purpose other than just personal enjoyment, but then I also had the thought of Dodgy Dave's under-the-counter booze shop selling all the lovely methanol-rich (and probably other toxic substances) bottles of imitation hooch, people buy those and often die or end up poisoned & hospitalised because of them, and much like the act of vaping, the act of drinking is a part of the problem...

So as I was poking through the ready meals for the mother's feedstock, I thought to myself, why is drinking alcohol as a whole not banned because of that? It'd kill two birds with one stone (alcoholism and under-counter dodgy booze sales), at least, it would in an idealistic world, but as we all know, temperance had the effect of worsening the under-counter problems, resulting in a lot more poisonings and deaths because of illicit hooch...

The same would happen with vaping, people would make their own (not that it doesn't already happen) and sell it under-counter, not caring what they put into it and thus those few deaths already had so far would turn into thousands more. Rummaging through the reduced to clears, I had the solution, regulation (I know, I know, it's already been done in some countries!), just as with tobacco, some drugs, medicines, alcohol and more, regulation of e-liquids would be a far, far better idea, as that way illicit stuff that has caused these illnesses and deaths would be limited, it'd still happen just as it does with the aforementioned substances with people trying to get stuff on-the-cheap, but again, that's their own stupidity in action...

And after all that, and I'd paid for my shopping and set off for home almost being mowed down by kids on bikes weaving through oncoming cars almost getting mowed down themselves in the car park, I thought, people really are stupid, in so many ways... Crazy2

Highlighted
Pro

The mind boggles at what you were doing with gophers to even be at risk of that. . .Cheesy

Ah booze!

I was wondering when we'd get to that!

It might have escaped your attention, but booze has this effect of making you feel intoxicated.

Many people, (me included I must admit) enjoy said intoxication on occasion, and are willing to take on the well known and documented risks.

If there is any "enjoyment" at all from vaping, I can only assume that it's similar to the false feeling of "satisfaction" which you get with cigarettes, when it temporarily eases the craving, while feeding it at the same time.

I'd assume that if there was any actual effect to doing it, it'd be banned along with most other stuff that is mind altering.

Apart from booze of course!

Anyone who buys dodgy cigarettes, booze, or for that matter anything else you're going to inhale, imbibe, or stick in any orifice probably gets what they deserve.

Is "but people will make bootleg" really a good reason for not controlling anything?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Everyone knows about Bird flu and Swine flu, they were meant to wipe out 90% of the world's population according to, ahem, "you know who", so Gopher Buttcheek Disease is just as relevant as any other random illness that a certain paper would catch onto... Funny

Well I only thought of the booze as an example, as once upon a time it too was uncontrolled and unregulated, until it eventually was, and made safer and less likely to kill people, it still does to some degree, but that's all about the end user...

With vaping and a regulated liquid that contains nicotine, the nicotine, just like alcohol, is a poison, a neurotoxin specifically in this case, that generates a feeling of somesort in the user, only time I've experienced nicotine directly it left me feeling sick to my stomach and dizzy, not enjoyable at all, but those hooked on it get that "high" from it, and of course, being regulated it's subject to tax, and tax make governments happy, even though they're legalising a toxic substance...

Zero-nic liquids on the other hand, people enjoy them for the flavours, just as most consume soft drinks for their flavours, a vaper does the same because they like it, and being zero-nic are safer to consume, but like I mentioned, people do make their own, and some sell it on not giving any regard to what goes into it, or maybe they just don't know what they're using and its effects chemically and biologically, but again, the person who buys it "cos it's cheaper than the stuff in a shop", well, they're idiots and I don't feel sympathy for them, if there's no traceability with the stuff, don't buy it, or else it's off to hospital or the mortuary...

Highlighted
Pro

Soft drinks, like everything have some health risks. (And like everything else soft drinks are "used" to excess by some)

Again the risks are known and documented.

And of course over hyped by various arms of the media.

As was swine flu, bird flu, gopher flu, and the very specific Willy Wombat flu for all I know.

I have this inbuilt filter for stuff like that.

"We're all going to die"

Very true, but probably not of what the media tell us we will.

But I still keep coming back to this thing about vaping.

This thing that says "Why do it at all when there are most likely unknown health risks?"

"I like the flavour"

Really? 

I used to think I liked the flavour of cigarettes before I packed them up.

I reckon I was fooling myself.

Could it be. . ?

No!

Surely not?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It's personal choice, and at this point in the thread, things are going to get circular going back to the same points again and again, some governments have done right to regulate, some haven't and as a result, people have suffered...

And as for the enjoyment, again, their choice, just as a person climbs a mountain even though it gets them nowhere useful, it's what they do, heck, I eat chocolate even though it's got no nutritional value, I just like the taste... Laugh

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

After this nice drop of rain I think I'll pop out and pick some nice wild mushrooms.

I hope I pick the right ones. Those big red ones with the white spots look good.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Magic... Azn

Highlighted
Pro

It is a personal choice as with many things.

Whether it's a sensible personal choice is another matter.

And whether something should be banned or regulated is down to the government of the day.

Often with little more logic than some media articles. . .

I like chocolate too.

But it does apparently have an effect on the pleasure receptors in the brain. . .

(And I did the mountain thing earlier)

Dinner time!

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Minesapint wrote:

But it does apparently have an effect on the pleasure receptors in the brain. . .

As do other things people eat, drink, inhale or insert... Grin

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@Minesapint 

"And so what about the Daily Mail?

The whole of the media is all bias, opinion, and misrepresentation.

I don't think much of The Mail. So I don't generally read it. I don't generally read the Guardian either.

In fact I try to get my news from several sources to try to get some balance."

Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Well alcohol is extremely harmful to humans and it is still on sale ( and it can be seriously harmful to people who have not drunk any, as the resulting brain dead behaviour of drunks can severely spoil your day, it not the rest of your life ), but why anyone would deliberately inhale anything they do not absolutely have to is beyond me - that goes for smoke machines as well.  Never did see the point of them, also CO2 that is unleashed on stage and wafts into the audience - whats that all about ! CO2 can kill as well, simply by depriving the body of oxygen.  I don't see animals lighting up leaves and bits of wood and inhaling the resulting smoke and fumes,  and they tend to run away from smoke - which in my book makes them a lot smarter than quite a few humans.