Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-cigarette explodes in barmaid’s face

TORPC
Grafter

E-cigarette explodes in barmaid’s face

This proves how dangerous they can potentially be
[quote=http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/08/video-e-cigarette-explodes-in-barmaids-face-after-being-put-on-ipad-charger-4692238/]CCTV footage of an electronic cigarette exploding in the face of a young pub worker has emerged.
Laura Baty, 18, escaped serious injury after the cigarette burst into flames at the Buck Inn Hotel in Richmond.
She suffered minor burns to her arms and her dress was damaged.
9 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: E-cigarette explodes in barmaid’s face

who thought it was a save idea to charge it from an ipad behind a bar full of flammable spirits? Do they need to mention every time one of these goes off that they are the same kind of batteries that are used in phones, PC laptops, tablets and aircraft? I'm sure there have been more burn incidents in bars that involved flaming sambuca than there will ever be involving any electrical device going pop.
David_W
Rising Star

I think the danger here was using a tablet charger (high capacity) on a tiny e-cig, these are generally designed to be charged via a USB cable (or a dedicated charger) not from a charger which is designed to charge a huge capacity battery.  If I were to try and charge a AAA battery using a car charger, I'd expect the battery to explode too, so the danger here is from the user,  not the device.
Community Veteran

Actually the danger is often cheap Chinese (or other)  imports that have been build with the minimum of protection circuitry and testing.
These will probably contain a Lithium based battery and the charging circuits for these have to be properly designed. Chances are the unit was tested on a low current source (i.e. a 500ma regulated USB port) and not a 1-2Amp mobile charger.
David_W
Rising Star

Not including the actual wattage, a USB should be 2.5 watts, a iPad charger 12 watts (more than a phone charger, 5 watts).  You're basically pushing in more power than the device was designed to take, it's a low power device being hit with a large power supply.
TORPC
Grafter

Some people will do anything whilst gagging for a cig, so if the forgot the correct charger, & used an alternative, the manufacturers need to look into this
Community Veteran

Any device with a Lithium based cell should be designed with a regulating charger which only takes the current required to charge the battery.
I bet if you open up one of these e-cigarettes, you'll find a very substandard charging system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

In the old days you had to find a Joke Shop if you wanted to make a cigarette explode.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: TORPC
if the forgot the correct charger, & used an alternative, the manufacturers need to look into this
Look, you could say that about many things. Say you forgot to put on your seatbelt, is it the manufacturers fault? Didn't think so. I have been using e-cigs for 2 years and ALL batteries come with plenty warnings on flyers etc like take care of them and don't charge them unattended and only use charger that Is meant to be used for whatever battery you bought etc etc. This is utter negligence from the owner.
Community Veteran

The point is that if an item is provided with a USB plug, it should be able to be plugged into a USB socket and *should* be protected from overcurrent. Not all USB ports will output the recommended standard of 500ma - I've seen more than a few which don't moan at even 1 amp.
Add this to the fact that a USB 3 port which is backwardly physically compatible with USB 2 can output 900ma as standard.
It's a bit like including a UK mains plug on an appliance but stating you can only use it on 120v - something will eventually go bang.