cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-bay and PayPal Problem

penneck
Grafter

E-bay and PayPal Problem

I haven't used e-bay for a year or two, but today I tried to buy something off it. E-bay recognises me when I go into it, and I managed to get what I wanted for less than a fiver, but that is where my problems started. I cannot access Paypal because it wont accept my password, nor will it let me change the password. I click on the 'forgotten password' link, and I get an e-mail with an access code, but when I type that in instead of a password, it comes back saying that either my e-mail address (which is used as a username) or my password is incorrect. I try using the 'paying as a guest' method, but in spite of me reading off my credit card number when typing it into where it asks for those details, it complains about that number.
What am I doing wrong?
There doesn't appear to be a way to contact PayPal to get a human to solve the problem - you have to log in to do that, and logging in is what I cannot do
4 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: E-bay and PayPal Problem

Try 0800 358 7911. I got this when logged in and it came with a passcode that lasts 60 minutes for a faster service but hopefully they can help you without it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

penneck
Grafter

Thanks Mav.
I have finally succeeded in accessing PayPal. Eventually, I found a way to e-mail them without having to log in first to do it, but I still seem to have got an automatic reply from them. However, I followed their instructions (exactly the same method I had already used several times). This process asked two questions (1) what was the name of the first school I went to, and (2) what was the colour and make of my first car? I had to answer all of these things before trying to get PayPal to accept them, but PayPal complained there was a problem with at least one answer - it doesn't say which. I had at least three variants on the answer to the school question - had I included Infants or Junior or neither in my answer when setting up my PayPal account God alone knows how long ago, when it suddenly occurred to me that I was using a capital letter at the start of car colour. I tried it with a lower case letter, and Hey Presto, I was in.
I recreated my password, got into my PayPal account and paid for my purchase.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion
Community Veteran

@penneck, it's funny you mention 'your first school' as a security question. I've used this on a number of sites and wish I hadn't and for the same reasons as you give.
Fixes: 125

Glad you got it sorted.
Kinda surprised the security answers were case specific - passwords I expect to be but not these reminder questions.
To avoid this kind of hassle every time I register with a new site whether banking, forum, etc. I put the details into Notepad which gets saved to a password-protected zip file.
@artmo. I used to be truthful and put things like actual school, real favourite colour but now I put things related to SWMBO or made up answers. I mean, who's to stop you putting you first school as 'dfHy£%46wem' as long as you can remember it Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still