Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Scooters

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

E-Scooters

I see that York are running a trail with e-scooters. Should they be legalised for the roads? My thoughts are no, They will be allowed to be driven at 3mph but will be able to be modified to go at up to 13mph, Even if banned from pavements they will still be ridden on them and as they will be silent and a danger to pedestrians. If on the road in heavy traffic they will be difficult to see by both car drivers and heavy goods traffic They would also probably become the preferred transport of the drugs dealers. If they are legalised then I think the riders should have insurance and be registered, The riders should have to wear appropriate safety clothing and the scooters should have lights to make them more visible. Just my thoughts.

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Re: E-Scooters

@TTman wrote:

If they are legalised then I think the riders should have insurance and be registered,

Totally agree but also apply it to cyclists.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

an iteresting page on HALFORDS site

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/advice/are-electric-scooters-legal.html

Yes they are legal in the uk.... BUT........... and there are plenty of "but`s" that "kinda" make them illegal on public roads, and pavements ! ! !

Note... in the write up... they refer to some trials due to take place in July 2020... ! !

BBC News site on 1 July   is also interesting... as it says the "rental" e-scooters ... are legal.. !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

But privately owned are not allowed on the roads or pavements...

SO... Joe Bloggs, and his mates,... see someone on a "rental" e-scooter.. zipping around and showing off.. think....

AHa !  that looks like fun.. I`ll go an buiy one for £100.. and ride it around town causing chaos everywhere, and having lots of fun annoying people

"  gotta be legal... saw a bloke last week doing it.... "

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

At a national level no, but if somewhere like York can accomodate them at a local level then I don't see the problem. It might even serve to turn even more of our town and city centre into car free clean zones. As for being on the roads themselves I don't see how that going to work and it does sound mighty dangerous and not saying bikes are safe, but are they worse than those?

Going to be interesting to see how this pans out given that depending on their classification, we already allow those mobility scooters to drive both on the pavement and on the road.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Strat
Fixes: 515

Not that much of a problem as they will all be dumped down back streets and open spaces like those brightly coloured bikes a while back.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 90.0.2 (64-bit)

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Town I live in currently has a sponsored trial of pink e scooters for people to hire.

At first there where issues with speeds not being restricted in certain areas like parks - this has been fixed by the company running the trial as the scooters have GPS location tracking so the company & customers with the app can find them.

There is still the issue of them being abandoned on the pavement for partially sighted people to trip over.

There is also the issue of people using them irresponsibly.

The local police have caught a few idiots & in turn they company has banned these users from accessing the app to unlock the e scooters.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I've noticed in the last few weeks they are getting really popular where I live.

Pain - and of course the PC Brigade would assume they ride on the road, which they don't.

So I've had to avoid some idiots whissing past me on pavements.

billnotben
Community Veteran

The old Sinclair C5 was said to be dangerous on the road because it was low and hard to see.

So are they saying a tiny dark scooter is safer on the road than bright white vehicle with a fluttering flag on a pole at the back?

When the death toll starts to mount watch how fast various officials will back pedal and distance themselves from the very idea of riding a tiny toy on busy roads.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Them riding down busy roads? You're having a laugh. Tiny pavements is more like it. You've got more chance of a cyclist stopping at a red traffic light than that happening.

They are just wide enough to accommodate me walking down the road passing by someone else (no and before anyone makes any jokes I am not overweight).

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

As the world turns and changes I'm sure they are going to fit in somewhere even if it's in pedestrian zones which seem to be on the increase - and not before time.

Several towns in Wales now have them with Cardiff being one of the latest under what they call the Walking Cities/Living streets campaign. Post Covid (whenever that is) it's going to be sad to see tham revert back to traffic but fingers crossed, perhaps not.

Personalised transport of the type these scooters represent are not going to go away anytime soon that's for sure. We just need to make safe room for both users and pedestrians. 

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Legs were made for walking.....

How come people are now so lazy they need a scooter to get around ?

Problem these days is many people do not get enough exercise, the main reason why so many are unhealthy...

Stick with a bike, it will get you there faster and offer the opportunity of exercise.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Or maybe it's just a bit of fun. 😉

As kids we had roller skates, those Triang scooters and of course those go-carts... although granted, at least they did provide a bit of exercise.

download (2).jpg

download (3).jpg

If I do return to this life I'm definitely going to get myself one of those hover boards!

Thomas A. Edison
Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Those go-carts were known as soap boxes. My Dad used to build them using old pram axles and wheels.

String was used for steering and the right boot for braking. Unbeatable......

2u2me
Pro

We use to call them bogies 😀

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Champnet wrote:

Those go-carts were known as soap boxes. My Dad used to build them using old pram axles and wheels.

String was used for steering and the right boot for braking. Unbeatable......

I remember making one with a scaffold plank.. ( no soap box ) ..  we got 10 kids on it... great fun ! ..