cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Cigs

Steve
Seasoned Pro

E-Cigs

Some may remember that I use one and have been for a couple years now. I believe our forum moderator Strats daughter? also uses them? I've personally done a lot of work with campaigns and talking to MEPS as well as MP regarding the stigma surrounding them. So I was kind of shocked but not surprised when I saw an article on the BBC website today.
E-cigarettes are 95% less harmful than tobacco and could be prescribed on the NHS in future to help smokers quit, a review of their use has concluded.
Experts who have compiled a report for Public Health England say "vaping" could be a "game changer" for persuading people to quit cigarettes.
They also say there is no evidence they give children a "gateway" into smoking.
Some health campaigners have welcomed the findings, but the British Medical Association has expressed caution.

What a difference from a year ago eh
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33978603
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: E-Cigs

I've been watching a few people on youtube who took up vaping to quit the cancersticks, and they never looked back, their health has improved, they can breathe properly, one even has had most of his allergies clear up and not return, so the nonsense claims about them being dangerous and carcinogenic is very much disproved by people who have actually taken up the act of vaping, quit smoking, and vastly improved their health to the point where they'll probably live longer... Smiley
The only people who make the negative claims about it are those with "vested interests" (I.E. receiving huge amounts of money to say vaping's bad), in the tobacco industry, the pharmaceutical industry (makers of the leading brand nicotine replacement stuff (patches, gum, sprays, etc.)), and of course, the government (tax, duty, hoping smokers died before they received state pensions, etc.)... Roll eyes
Glenn
Grafter

I tried an e-cig a few months back and it was excruciatingly painful....threw it out...maybe it was the brand.It would be great to use them to help me quit...better health and better on pocket.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Glenn
I tried an e-cig a few months back and it was excruciatingly painful

Off-the-shelf cheap jobbies I guess? If so, then yeah, those are filthy things (presumably made badly on purpose to push people away from them), there's plenty of quality online retailers who offer various types of ecigs that have varying levels of nicotine, have many flavours (tobacco, fruits, drinks, sweets, etc.), and range from small cigarette-style types to the big things that resemble C3PO's appendage... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Amazing really that the shops are allowed to sell a device designed to self administer a toxin 10 times more toxic than morphine sulphate.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@ AlaricAdair by the same standards then I am amazed shops are allowed to sell cigarettes containing 4,000 chemicals 51 of them are known to be carcinogenic. A carcinogen is something that causes cancer. Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

We all know the answer to that....revenue
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Amazing really that the shops are allowed to sell a device designed to self administer a toxin 10 times more toxic than morphine sulphate.

What are these "Toxins" you speak of? The only chemicals in eCigs are nicotine, food-grade flavourings and either Vegetable Glycerine or Propylene Glycol, or a mix of the two, VG is a sweet sugary liquid used in food, PG is the same stuff used in smoke machines, so the "Toxins", well, I've yet to hear what those actually are... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Glenn
I tried an e-cig a few months back and it was excruciatingly painful....threw it out...maybe it was the brand.It would be great to use them to help me quit...better health and better on pocket.
Here are some forums for you all about e-cigs, perhaps you can join them ( or one ) if you are keen on trying something and ask some vapers where you should start, those cigalike in the shops are no use for heavy smokers to be honest.
http://ukvapers.org/index.php
http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quitting needs to be "well thought out".... not just a "whim" on new years eve..... 
If using "e-cigs" helps people to stop smoking , and it seems to do so, together with the much reduced danger of lung disease, then I reckon it`s a good thing...
Making them available on prescription, may be a good thing for the "user".. especially if they are on the "lower income" or "no income" end of the scale, where they can be obtained " free ".. as they would be "entitled" under the normal rules of prescription charges..
Where someone smokes, ( say 20 a day), regularly, this amount to about £6.50 per day of their income, literally going up in smoke.... if they are unemployed, low income people, with a couple of kids to feed and clothe... then that (approx) £40 a week would go a long way to help them achieve a better standard of living, with a bonus of improved personal health, as well as other members of their family...
as a matter of interest... I stopped smoking ( used to be at least 20 a day ). 30 or more years ago... took me a concerted effort of reducing the daily numbers over a period of 3 years.... comparing the price of cigs then, to today, I should... rpt ... should , be a millionaire...  but see my other thread, ....  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@shutter, i was in a meeting recently, anyway we had to stop for five minutes. The chap who was old enough to be my grandad ( no offence ) started the topic of smoking. He said he stopped when they went up to 50p a pack Grin
nanotm
Pro

50p a pack was only about 35 years ago, when I started smoking vending machines were £1.50 a pack and shops were  charging £1.10 a 20 deck (or 24 if you could smoke those nasty things)
as to e-cigs,
its not about the vg or the nicotine its the stupid flavourings, its fine if you know what your doing and make your own but if you rely on the so called clever people who sell weird and wonderful flavours in the shops then your taking a giant risk, just look at the sales of cinnamon, popcorn and I forgot the other two killer flavours.....
stil they are generally better for everyone around, hopefully for xmass I will get an e-cig kit and some mixers, then I can get back to smoking in the house (which I haven't done in 16 years) and stop getting cold n wet  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
just look at the sales of cinnamon, popcorn and I forgot the other two killer flavours.....

Those flavours were voluntarily removed by the producers a when it was found they could cause problems with the chemical extracts they contained, and alternatives sourced if possible...
So four flavours out of thousands, well, I'm still waiting for the "toxins" that are claimed are in them by many people who wish for them to be banned (or are sheep and believe what the daily fail claims)... Grin
nanotm
Pro

I was merely pointing out that commercial grade product can be more dangerous than the chemically altered tobacco products there supposed to replace, the only reason why tailor made fags have so many chemicals in them is to poison slowly over time the consumers, the much has even started to creep into hand rolling and pipe tobacco in the last decade with zero justification for it .....
ecigs will become cash cows in the future in the same way that tobacco has been, no doubt though tobacco will be outlawed in the next year or two first, of course e-cigs generally aren't bad as they stand right now although some cheaper offerings have some safety flaws a spot of proper market regulation will fix that
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
I was merely pointing out that commercial grade product can be more dangerous than the chemically altered tobacco products there supposed to replace

Of course there's the few that can spoil it for the many, but the majority of competent suppliers (and bear in mind a lot of these suppliers are ecig users themselves so it would be pretty stupid of them to poison their own supplies!!) know what they're doing and have a reputation to maintain, so they screw up, then the vaping community will point that out and then the supplier goes down the pan...  Smiley