cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Book reader

dennisb66
Grafter

E-Book reader

I have just ordered a reader and have earmarked 4 books I intend to buy and d/load.Does any reader know a good site for FREE e-books.
24 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: E-Book reader

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I have a Sony PRS-505 great reader, and I recommend getting Claibre to manage your books, it will convert to/from almost any format (non DRM mind)
For free books google books, project Gutemburg, several web sites (google free ebooks)
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No1 son loaned me his reader (can't off-hand remember what it was, but I'll find out) with a heavy hint that one might appear in my Christmas stocking if I liked it. I returned it after a trial period with an equally heavy hint not to bother thanks. I much prefer turning over proper paper pages...a dinosaur yes! maybe. I just want to read a book, not have to fiddle with electronic devices that don't work very well. If the whole page was visible the font was too small for comfort, if the font was comfortably readable a large chunk of the page was missing requiring sideways scrolling. The background colour was a dim grey, the font a darkish grey and not very sharp, the contrast between the two was awful. Frankly it was damned hard work.
No thanks son, I'll have the Lamborghini instead.
PS. I think it was an earlier version of the Amazon device than the one currently being pushed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Got to agree 100% Petlew. I love going to the library, having a browse and coming home with my books, full of anticipation.
I like to have a book in my hand and would not like an electronic reader at all.
Even on the computer I find things difficult to read sometimes (if the piece is long and a bit complex) so often give up.
It has definitely got to be a proper book for me.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Petlew
No thanks son, I'll have the Lamborghini instead.
You must have one rather large sock Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Amazon Kindle had an offer of free downlads in the last two weeks  also a free reader for M£S, Mac etc  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_18601_21303581_pe_08/?docId=1000425503
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Poppy & Petlew - if you get a chance to have a look at the new Amazon Kindle 3, I think it could change your minds. I have had one for just over a week now and I am very impressed, very clear typeface which can be adjusted in size and spacing to suit your eyesight and it 's just like reading off bright white paper.
And for the OP, there is a large selection of free books for this available on the Amazon/Kindle website - but only useful if you have a Kindle though.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Not really Steve, I have a small one on my Key ring, nearest I will get to owning one
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
Even on the computer I find things difficult to read sometimes (if the piece is long and a bit complex) so often give up.

How odd, I have the same problem. If I particularly want to read a longish screen article I almost invariably print it, and have a stock of A5 paper for this purpose, that is also easier to read than closely spaced A4.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Uh thought A5 was smaller than A4
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

But you get more pages.
In fact 1.414213562... more pages. Smiley

Community Veteran

Yes quite so. But, A5 produces a more near book-sized page format and in my personal opinion much more readable.
An instance is (agreed not a novel) disc supplied manuals that are very common these days for cameras and other devices, some of which can run to over a hundred pages or more in pdf format. I find these things an almost impossibility to read comfortably on-screen, nothing to do with clarity fonts or contrast, just too much fiddling about. So I usually print them off double sided to A5 , punch for a ring-binder and bind, I can then read it at my leisure (I quite like reading instruction books -I used to write them once a upon a time-)
And no! I don't scan and reduce snail mail letters to A5 before I read them.

Community Veteran

interesting hobby, petlew.  i used to design filing systems and, later, databases.