Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dying for a fag..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Dying for a fag..

Quote from: shutter
The system..... does not "favour" the older generation... That is your perception of it. 

Right simple fact and question:
The government pays out over 2/3rds of benefits payments to pensioners.
The government are on a witch hunt against those on JSA, incmoe support, DLA etc who are not of pensionable age.
So which age group are they favouring? Young or old?
It is not my perception, it is fact.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

So what do you propose bearing in mind that the majority of pensioners do not have private pensions?
The problem is with the system that rely on the current working population to fund the pensions. This was okay when the working population was increasing more than the pensioners but this has not been the case for many years and action should have been taken sooner.
Personally I have been working 41 years and will not get the state pension until I'm 66, so 8 and a bit years to work, so nearly  50 years of work to receive a pension less than my parents and getting worst as the SERPS part of the pension disappear.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: itsme
So what do you propose bearing in mind that the majority of pensioners do not have private pensions?

Well for once this is one problem I don't have any ideas on how to solve - despite my pointing it out as a large issue.
The problem is with the system that rely on the current working population to fund the pensions. This was okay when the working population was increasing more than the pensioners but this has not been the case for many years and action should have been taken sooner.

Yes which is what I've been saying so you better be careful or you'll get slated too! What action do you think should have been taken?
Personally I think that means testing should be used on OAPs. Sure the government don't like means testing (unless you're of working age - which is the minority in the benefits system) but with such a large pension bill I don't think they're going to be able to put this off much longer. Why does Peter Stringfellow need a winter fuel allowance, bus pass and a free TV licence? It is obsurd (and even he says so!).
As you put it itsme, unless we have an explosion in growth in the younger generations we're pretty screwed. That growth isn't going to happen while people are struggling financially and the government are making life harder so the only other thing they can do is allow working age immigrants to come here (which then keeps the housing market growing and putting us all into rented places).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Private Pensions have also been hit and Actuaries have a lot to blame for this. Approximately 9 years ago I queried whether the company pension was funded and the financial controller said yes and this was confirmed by the Actuaries 2 months previously. Roll on six months and the financial controller was furious after a meeting with the actuaries when he was informed the pension was not funded as people are living longer.   
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
Yes which is what I've been saying so you better be careful or you'll get slated too! What action do you think should have been taken?

Why I did not attack pensioners, but I will have a little pop at some.
There are some pensioners that should sit down with a calculator and work out how much they have received in state money since they have retired compared to how much National Insurance they have paid before they get on their high horses and say they are only getting what they paid for. The pension model is to pay a state pension for 3 to 5 years not 20 years
What also some pensioners on this forum are not aware that bus passes and Winter fuel allowance which they got when they were 60 is linked to the Woman state retirement age and I will not get these payments until I'm 66, if they have not been abolished by then.
Edit: In my job a meet a lot of people and there are pensioners that know that they are financially better off than it's looking for the 20 and 30 year olds. I'm glad that I'm at the tail end of my working life and not starting it.
Fixes: 175

I have every respect for 7up's right to his opinions and his right to express them as long as he understands that they are his opinions and his 'facts'.
I have been retired for over 18 months now and continue to pay taxes.
I have been known to say "wait until you get to my age and you will view things differently" which the current generation hates to hear as I did at their age.
You have to have sympathy as they do not have the advantage of being able to look back to a previous generation as we can.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

itsme
Grafter

So do you believe that current pensioners are worst or better off than pensioners well be in 20/30 years time?
State Pensions are going to be a flat rate and SERPS payments will disappear even though employees will still pay this and if you had contracted out you will automatically be contracted back in in the near future. So paying more in to get less out. Additionally if you are not in a company pension scheme you will be automatically enrolled into the Workplace Pension which what NI/SERPS should being doing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

There are some pensioners that should sit down with a calculator and work out how much they have received in state money since they have retired compared to how much National Insurance they have paid before they get on their high horses and say they are only getting what they paid for.

They may well be getting what they paid for.
Unless you take a very simplistic view that the real value of a £1 fifty years ago is the same real value as the current pound.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

7up,
Your views on this topic, which you are fully entitled to express, come across as someone who has had a very tough time both in the way you were brought up and your current position regarding your health and it's because of that you are expressing such views.
It comes across as I have had a b****y c**p life whilst everybody else had not had to put up with the things I have had to put up with and as for the future it's just going to be more of the same.
However everyone is different and whilst some people who are now elderly have done well for themselves I suspect the majority are not so fortunate either with their finances or health.
The points you raise have been accurately answered by others and I certainly agree with their points of view rather than you own.