Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Duncan Bannatyne drops reward for 'breaking arms' of blackmailer

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Guardian"]
Duncan Bannatyne drops £50k reward for 'breaking arms' of blackmailer
Dragons' Den star calls in police and deletes tweets appearing to solicit violence after Russian threatens to harm daughter
The Dragons' Den star Duncan Bannatyne has been forced to delete tweets after offering a £50,000 reward for anyone who broke the arms of a man who used Twitter to threaten his daughter.

Someone going by the name of Yuri Vasilyev tweeted Bannatyne three days ago, saying: "I'm looking for a £35,000 investment to stop us hurting your Hollie Bannatyne. We will bring hurt and pain into your life. We are watching her. She is very attractive. Want photos?"
After revealing that police had been informed of the threat, Bannatyne told his 371,653 Twitter followers: "I offer £25,000 reward for the capture of the coward who calls himself @YuriVasilyev_ Double if his arms are broken first."
Read More Here
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Duncan Bannatyne drops reward for 'breaking arms' of blackmailer

It's not all fun being famous.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

That is so true!
Community Veteran

i sympathise with him.  i know what my response would be to anyone threatening my nearest and dearest.  i might be a little more circumspect than to openly advocate violence against the perpetrator, but would surely reap some satisfaction were such to be so.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The perpitrator threatened violence first....
Biblical style justice?
Self defence?
Reasonable force?
I don't condone violence but I totally sympathise with those threatened by violence feeling sufficiently incensed to 'return the compliment'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

He's out Wink Wink
Denzil
Grafter

Of course he wants to protect his daughter, can't blame him for that, but soliciting violence is wrong. It can't possibly be considered self defence or reasonable force if no attempt at violence has actually been made. For all anybody knows, this may have been a sick joke on whoever owns that username, or his account may have been hacked. Somebody completely innocent with a similar name could be attacked themselves.
Community Veteran

According to some newspapers he did make the threat.  I think you have to be very careful what you say especially if you are a high profile individual.
Community Veteran

A bit like the chef who tweets that he's going to Heathrow with a Bombe Surprise in the boot of his car.  Someone is bound to misinterpret the culinary delight with semtex and we'd see the chef in court for improper Twitter. Our legal system seems crazy.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.