Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dump it... or not.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Dump it... or not.

Had plans to take my daughters old washing machine to her local dump but have now been informed by her that because I am not resident in the area and they have now introduced ID checking on arrival, I will now have to take it to my own 'local' recycling centre which is, wait for it - twenty six miles away, so a nice round trip of over fifty but hey, hang on, it also turns out on checking that my own local one as from June of this year now needs me to provide either a Drivers licence, a Council tax bill or a Utility bill and one that must be dated within the last 3 months.

Still it could be worse, the one over Swansea way needs you to have all that plus make an appointment first, seriously. You phone in and are given some sort of number which is then handed to those jobs worths at the gate who then stand by and watch you struggle to unload and then scratch your head as you try to work out which bleep bleep container to put it in. 

Wood in one pile but as along as it's not nailed to plasterboard, building material in another - but no plasterboard, hard plastic in one, soft plastic in another. As for black bags they need to check what's in 'em first before you chuck it into the general refuse skip. Garden waste? Over there mate.... by that pile of old washing machines. 

Jeepers.  

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Dump it... or not.

@Minivanman wrote:

Had plans to take my daughters old washing machine to her local dump but have now been informed by her that because I am not resident in the area and they have now introduced ID checking on arrival, ...

So couldn't she accompany you to her local tip with her council tax bill or some other proof of residency?

And they wonder why some people fly-tip!

It's not got quite that bad yet at our local 'Recycling' facility, although they seem to be charging for more items than they used to.

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman  Our coucil sent all residents car stickers for our windscreens. So if you have a sticker no problem. Pity your daughters council did not do the same. You could have just moved it to your car.Sad

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Well she could if she was not at work.

Guess I will have to leave until next weekend and sort it out then with her. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Sounds like a good idea. 

This is all new here with both adjoining authorities bringing in the rules just this month, so maybe it will be something for them to consider in the future?

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

I would expect the suppliers of the new machine you’re going to buy her to take away the old one....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

They will, for £20. Sad

They would also charge for connection (I'll be doing that) and there is also a charge for delivery. All rather odd as at one time they would take the old machine away for free so I can only assume they they themselves are being charged to dispose of them wherever and a at commercial rate.

I can recall getting into a reall tussle with Sky over this as we were expected in the analogue/digital days to take the customers old, large and often rusty dish away - but when I tried taking them down to the recycle centre they wanted me to pay commercial rates and the same went for any old cardboard packaging I had from the new stuff we has installed. It was a blinking nighmare.

"But Sky said you would take it away!"

"Sorry mate, no chance". 

Highlighted
All Star

Given the hassle it may be worth it....

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Champnet 

"Given the hassle it may be worth it...."

True, but then I did not know I'd have any hassle until this afternoon, and after the order for the new machine had already been placed, paid for and delivery confirmed. 

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Is there no one else local that would go with you, if you took them for a cup of tea and a cake on the way back!?!

They are reducing the number of days and the hours each day our recycling centres are open, though we don't have any checks on IDs or anything.  It's been suggested that it will increase Fly Tipping, but apparently they don't care as it is Lancashire County Council that run the recycling centres and West Lancs District Council that deal with Fly Tipping, so I have been told!

Highlighted
All Star

There’s some truth  in @RobPN ‘s Comment “And they wonder why some people fly-tip!”

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

In Australia they have what they call 'hard rubbish day' when residents put items they want to get rid of out at the front of their properties.  Neighbours can, as far as I know, rummage through and take anything they want, the rest is collected by the council.  I'd be surprised if some enterprising second-hand dealers don't tour the area to see what they can find.  Washing machines might be too large and too heavy, but I'm sure some articles of furniture are accepted.

The reason I favour this system is that currently fly-tippers get their illegally dumped items removed at our expense, while we law-abiding folk then pay again to have our own items removed.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

It may be apochryphal, but I once heard of a TV repair guy who had a quantity of 'beyond economic repair' video recorders on his hands.

Solution - left one outside his shop every night, and they all disappeared.

Borrow from pessimists – they don’t expect it back
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

That's because he was a TV guy who knew nothing about video recorders?

Servo systems, interlaced scanning, chewing up tapes? It's out onto the pavement tonight for you m'lad!

Grin

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman 

Might be worth a phone call to your nearest scrap yard to see if they would take it providing you dropped it off ?