Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dump it... or not.

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

Re: Dump it... or not.

@Minivanman 

Aren't there any of those scrap metal collectors in the area?  You probably know the type I mean, the ones you see driving around with a transit-type truck loaded with old washing machines, fridges etc.

I noted the phone number of one who sometimes drives along our street for possible future use.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Are there such things as scrap yards anymore? None around here that's for sure and the ones I have seen are just as likely to pinch the wheels off the car as I'm unloading that machine.

Where are the Steptoe and sons of this world when you need 'em. 

Oh I know, they've all become house clearance/antique shops. :rolleyes:

Champnet
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Best plan as @198kHz mentions, leave it overnight at the end of the drive.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

@Minivanman  Our coucil sent all residents car stickers for our windscreens. So if you have a sticker no problem. Pity your daughters council did not do the same. You could have just moved it to your car.:sad:

Our council do the same thing.

Mind you the metal people scour my area and will take anything of value, I had a broken laser printer (huge beast that was) and left it outside my house - gone. Well it saved me a job I suppose.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I can recall doing some work in a rather nice area and the guy I was doing work for told me that stuff left outside was cleared away quite quickly by - let's say immigrants. Seems they had quite an organised operation going. 

Morlocks anyone?

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

... stuff left outside was cleared away quite quickly by - let's say immigrants. Seems they had quite an organised operation going. 

Morlocks anyone?

Dunno about Morlocks, but more locks would have been useful in the areas where those people operate/d as anything not locked up was fair game to them.

I remember seeing a TV program a few years ago about, shall we say 'enterprising', Romanians driving around residential areas lifting bikes, prams, you name it, from peoples gardens, some of which had only been left there a few minutes, and loading them onto their vehicles.  This was captured on camera before any body jumps in with comments of racism.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

I do know that the example I gave left me feeling like the well heeled of that area (and I do mean well heeled with pools, Porsches etc) were using the 'immigrants' as a way of getting rid of stuff - in fact I know they were. These were all well secured properties so no locks needed, and ceratinly nothing was being 'stolen' in that sense.

Just all rather odd.

TTman
Seasoned Pro

@198kHz Many years ago I contracted to a large electical retail store. The tv repair department decided to have a clearout of all the unrepairable tv's and videos they had. Filled a large skip,next day it half empty.

@Alex Maybe we live in the same area....Leeds:thumbsup:

wotsup
Champion

No wonder people fly tip said RobPn - sad thing is a lot of the stuff that gets fly tipped in industrial quantities is domestic waste that has been collected by local council contractors and then 'handed over' to unlicensed waste disposal firms, think CH4 did a documentary on it not long ago. One case the unlicensed people had leased an old warehouse and when they left the owner found it stacked to the roof with domestic rubbish. 

I reported fly tipping to our local council but it turned out it was about 100 metres over the boundary into adjoining council area - instead of my council just passing e-mail on to colleagues I got a reply with a phone number to report it again to the other council, which I did not do -  actually got a letter published in our local paper about the incident, hope they were embarrassed....

We used to get large rubbish collections when we lived in Sydney, most of the stuff disappeared before the council wagons came round though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We get this music every so often, as the local Rag & Bone man plies his trade.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our local County Council will take away unwanted White Goods for a small fee (£20).

Whereas in Manchester, they will take away unwanted White Goods for free, from your front gate, if put out on Bin Day.

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Are there such things as scrap yards anymore?

Where are the Steptoe and sons of this world when you need 'em. 

We get a notice put through the door every now and then, wanting scrap. I see stuff put out and it goes.

But I got about £15 for a load of old metal rubbish (it really was trash) that didn't even fill up the boot when I took it to the scrap yard. They pay the money direct into the bank account now, no cash.

Maybe we do things differently around these parts but the local recycling place used to be open 3 days a week. Now its nearly every day. The council will come and collect some stuff. Cost me £30 last time I used it but I thought its got to be worth it. Rather than struggle like mad to get it into the car, drive the 6 miles to the dump etc. I put it out on the designated morning, arrived back home to see a big lorry, full to the brim of mattresses, furniture etc and 2 men fitting into the back. Certainly was worth it, I just watched! :grin: A lot of places etc charge now for taking stuff away, even if they do free delivery. 

Ever helpful. :grin: Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Fixes: 317

I had a small fridge beyond economical repair so put it by the front door.

I don't know about overnight, this was gone within the hour and I watched the guy walking down the road with it....good luck mate.

Our Tenants and Residents Association (TARA) used to organise some very large skips to be placed around the estate once a year.

People could put in mostly whatever large items they didn't need. They filled up very quickly.

The TARA also organised a 'bin lorry' to go round the area and take away large items for free.

In recent years this hasn't been done and I guess the TARA hasn't the funding any more.

There are plenty of lorries coming round who, for a reasonable fee will take away your large item rubbish and dump it in a local beauty spot.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

What I don't understand is why they make it so difficult at those Local Authority recycling depots what with all the rules, registrations and regulations they now seem to impose as quite honestly these places could and should be a nice little earner. If the old rag and bone man, the scrap yards and people just taking junk left out can make money or see something in it, then what are our Councils doing wrong?

Where we used to live the local déchetterie was run by a private company, so they must have seen some profit in the enterprise as the whole lot used to run like clockwork. It was kept really clean, tidy and the staff were always ready to help and it was certainly beyond the anything the Commune could afford to run that's for sure.

The only check they made was to right down the registration number of your vehicle. I know that with trailer behind, I used dump no end of stuff during the few years I was working on my place there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Strat wrote:

There are plenty of lorries coming round who, for a reasonable fee will take away your large item rubbish and dump it in a local beauty spot.

Just make sure you leave no evidence of your details, as ultimately you are responsible for any items dumped (fly tipped)