cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumbing down the language

Community Veteran

Dumbing down the language

My youngest son has just come home from school.  He tells me that his RE teacher has just been through his course work, where he said "King Solomon built the first temple and dedicated it to the glory of God".  He has been told that this is not the language a 16 year old would use, and if he doesn't change how he says it, the examiner will assume that he's copied it from somewhere and mark him down.
Another girl has been told that her language is too advanced, and she will have to use simpler language or be accused of plagiarism.
How can I encourage my son to use good English; using the right word instead of some shorthand approximate, when his teachers continually tell him to dumb it down?  Crazy
We continually criticise youngsters for poor English, but when they show a high standard of the language, they're told not to!
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John
25 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Dumbing down the language

Couldn't agree more - standard of English should be preserved at all costs  Smiley
Community Veteran

Here, here from me too.  Far to much dumbing down of our language.  I also hate all the text speak that seems to be accepted as normal these days.
community
Grafter

@Huls
something doesn't ring true to me somehow.
If your son is 16 years old, then he is surely considered a senior pupil.
When I was at school, at 16 we were in the senior classes and working towards university entrance.
Also, we didn't have RE so late , it had been dropped for more academic subjects.
That is why I am amazed that (a) he is being taught RE  and (b) he and his fellow pupils are not being treated as ADULTS.  Huh
Community Veteran

RE is a compulsory subject by law, and should be taught to everyone, so either he has to do GCSE RE or a "short course" RE (worth half a GCSE apparently).
Community Veteran

Hmm, I seem to recall having to do a menial bit of RE during my GCSEs too, but I don't think it counted for anything.
Fixes: 47

But the point still stands I think.
There is, I am told a great deal of copy and pasting going on these days where course work counts for a large percentage of a GCSE examination.
I've never understood why a person is not tested at the end of their time at school entirely on what they have absorbed rather than what they have copied from Wikipedia pages. Undecided
However to have suggested that work is copied simply because it is grammatically correct is a sign of the times.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I hope you are not blowing in the Wind John, you should take that "teacher" on one side
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If they are being accused of plagiarism at least they are being accused of doing so from high quality sources. I would have thought most of the material found online is of such a low standard that sloppy language would be more likely to indicate plagiarism.
Before the days of the internet it was not unusual to quote phrases one had remembered from books. That wasn't thought of as plagiarism.
community
Grafter

Quote from: hulls
RE is a compulsory subject by law, and should be taught to everyone, so either he has to do GCSE RE or a "short course" RE (worth half a GCSE apparently).

To my mind, RE is a worthless subject anyway, so why take the time to sit it for GCSE...and if it's compulsory (which I think is ridiculous) then all you have to do is 'spoil' the paper......I can't imagine any prospective employer demanding a qualification in RE.
WildRose52
Grafter

User deleted.
This being due to not only `lack of interest`
but also what I now call : `rudeness by
members` here :
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84171.0.html
One day people might just learn their error, whilst my
intentions were good - but whilst members here appear to
prefer some silly topics rather than serious issues which
affect us all - then I dont need your hints - and I certainly dont
need your rudeness - and in future I shall post elsewhere,
where such topics ARE appreciated for their value.
thank you.
WildRose52
Grafter

User deleted.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Before the days of the internet it was not unusual to quote phrases one had remembered from books. That wasn't thought of as plagiarism.

The difference there though is that you'd A. clearly demarcate it as a quote and B. give its source. Indeed, when you move on to university essays you can't get by without doing both.
Addnan
Grafter

I did my GCSE  few years ago and it was quite similar. They would say if it doesn't sound like how you write in lesson everyday it could be considered as plagerism. In lesson most people would just rush their work, but when it comes to coursework you put your head down and concentrate, teachers don't seem to understand that.
WildRose52
Grafter

User deleted.