cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duke of Edinburgh has passed away

dvorak
Fixes: 1,175

Duke of Edinburgh has passed away

The Duke of Edinburgh, the longest-serving consort to a monarch in British history, has died at the age of 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Prince Philip, whom the Queen described as her "strength and stay" during her record-breaking reign, passed away at Windsor Castle on Friday.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
16 REPLIES 16
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Duke of Edinburgh has passed away

He's had a good innings, thoughts are with the family....

Strat
Fixes: 505

Sad news.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

None of us can go on forever but it's sad all the same. Imagine the vacuum he'll leave in peoples lives after so long, especially the Queen's. 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

A good inning for sure, and a bit of a maverick along the way.

Not fan of the beribboned, berobbed, and bemedaled brigade as you should all know by now, but I do feel for his Mrs as no matter how high the family this must surely be the low point. No State funeral it seems which is just as well at a time like that but no doubt they have some sort of decent military send off for him.

I wonder if the Queen will step down now. My money (if I had any to spare) would be on a big fat no.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

He had quite a interesting background in his childhood, must have took some time to adjust to life as a Royal.

It will be hard for the Queen now he has gone but it will not have been unexpected as he was clearly frail following his recent discharge from hospital.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

And well deserved his medals, and ribbons.......

https://www.forces.net/news/how-prince-philip-has-earned-respect-british-military

Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

Nothing but utter respect for him and my deepest sympathy to the Queen and the Royal family.

RIP Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

I beg to differ, Wiki more than happy to supply a full list far to long to include here.

When those of wealth and influence outweigh the efforts of hard work and intelligence then questions need to be asked about attainment and not pushed to one side. Sure there are those who deserve rank and privilege from such backgrounds, but very few I would wager. Luck of the draw that you were a rating and this guy somehow made it in Dartmouth Navy College under his own steam, or that so many that control and administer our lives just happened to go the Eton. Well some might accept that as the natural order of things and by right of birth. I never have, and I never will. I need no reminding of how the Churchills', Mountbattens' and the Prince Phillips' of Greece and Demarks' of this world benefit enormously from patronage denied to those born and raised out of a different cradle, none at all.

Husband, father, grandfather is a loss many of us can sympathize with and he may well have been a great guy and no problem with giving him a decent send off and one which he will no doubt have, but lets no overegg the pudding.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman wrote:

@shutter 

I beg to differ, Wiki more than happy to supply a full list far to long to include here.

Well, you would do, wouldn`t you........  Roll_eyes

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

As would you as an ex naval man.... I wonder if he was any good at morse code? 😉

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I'll just leave this here... with no comment.

skynews-prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh_5336268.jpg

Prince Philip: Harry and Meghan post tribute to Duke of Edinburgh on their website | UK News | Sky N...

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

If you read up about his parents and other family members it’s clear he had a loveless childhood, no matter how much money or top school you go to if your parents show no interest in you and other members of your family do things that only cause you embarrassment then in many cases you are finished before you even start.

I suspect the school saved him but accept he would not have risen to the heights he attained if he had not married the queen but I think he deserved to be a royal more than many of the other real royals who I have little time for other than the Queen..

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

I was aware of his history and it was turbulent to say the least and I had not meant to be been critical of the man, only the outfit he came into and very much as an outsider that with a change of name and the help of that arch manipulator Mountbatten the lad was able to get his feet well under the top table deserved or otherwise. As for that turbulence well many had been through far worse and with far less during the 1920's and indeed, much later as well. 

But there you go, it is what it is. He came good though and few can doubt it and history will show that if not beside, he was at least one step behind the Queen through the years and that nobody can take away from him.

Understandable that they wiped the entire BBC for the evening, but why did they have to show the same on BBC2, and what the heck happened to my highlight of the week and just about the only thing worth watching these days, HIGNFY? 😲

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

Seems the Irish broadcasters have a more rational balanced perspective.

From a cringe-free Irish perspective, the reverence with which the BBC – and other UK broadcasters, but most overtly the BBC – treat even routine morale-boosting statements from Queen Elizabeth is as much a source of curiosity as it is a trigger for despair. Our approaches to official mourning have diverged, too. Mercifully, an RTÉ policy of suspending all programming across services in the event of a taoiseach, president or pope dying while in office and merging its radio stations to play only funereal music has long been abandoned.😲

Irish Times

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N