cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duke of Edinburgh Diamond Challenge

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Duke of Edinburgh Diamond Challenge

I won't be around much this week as I am away helping my daughter finish her DofE Diamond Challenge - walking from Bath to Windsor along the Kennet and Avon canal and then the Thames footpath. We are doing it in stages and had previously reached Newbury leaving about 50 miles to go which we intend to complete by Friday.

Kathryn completed her Gold Award through a centre attached to Mencap in Andover.

Her page is at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kats2016challenge

We got the week off to a cracking start by walking from Newbury to Theale which is about 13.5 miles.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
4 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Duke of Edinburgh Diamond Challenge

Sounds good Smiley

My eldest daughter (also a Katherine) did her award a good few years back now and afterwards, she was part of a group helping others do theirs - so all credit to them eh? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

At the Gold awards presentations it was evident that it is quite common for the service part to be helping the youngsters starting out on their bronze.

We've had tw more good days: Theale to Lower Shiplake and then Lower Shiplake to Marlow. Of the 50 miles we've done about 35 so well on target to finish on Friday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I once walked from Colne to Skipton along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal, a distance of about 21 miles I think I measured it at, though not for charity, I was just bored... Grin

My hip joints were pretty knackered for a couple of months afterwards though... Crazy2

Community Veteran

We walked to Maidenhead today so all set for the finish at Windsor tomorrow.

It's a long time since I've walked such a distance on successive days and I'm doing better than I might have expected. Kathryn has been struggling a bit so I've been acting as Sherpa on some days - I've no blisters (I think the cool temperatures have probably helped with that) and my joints are holding up surprisingly well as I do have a little arthritis in one hip.

Any support for her efforts would be most appreciated even if it is only £1 - it all adds up.