cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drugs on my bus...help please

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Drugs on my bus...help please

Can anyone help please?  I am a bus driver, collecting college kids morning and night. I have had mornings, like this morning, when I have smelt the most god-awful stench where someone has opened their 'skunk'. I have informed security whose reply was basically 'it's your problem, it's on your bus. Nothing to do with the college'.  Where they think these drugs are going to when the kids get off in the college I don't know!!
My question is this...If I am inhaling the fumes from unsmoked cannabis, would this show up as a positive on a drug test?
It leaves a horrible smell on the bus, which I take into service afterwards. I had someone this morning ask me if I was rolling my own? This person would only need to call the police or the council and I would be under suspicion.  I'm not happy. I do not take drugs, other than prescription - and then only as a last resort. I do not want to be thought to take drugs. Should I be tested positive for drugs I would lose my CRB and be unable to drive buses any more.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Drugs on my bus...help please

Quote from: doris
would this show up as a positive on a drug test?

Depends how strong it is but yes it can if its strong enough.
Perhaps you should speak with the police and have them pull over the bus 'randomly' at an agreed place and perform a search of your passengers. I'm pretty sure that will put a stop to it.
Either way it ain't worth risking your job, you need to cover your own back.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

thanks, I need to have some solid data that I can call on. I have already alienated the head of the college because I threatened legal action after I was assaulted by a student. i really need to be solid on this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As one bus/coach driver to another. A basic error; it is everything to do with the college. When ever anything untoward (mercifully very seldom) happens on my coach I report it directly to the school (backed up with a report to my company) and they sort it out. I wouldn't bother with the security if I were you its not their area.
Make a fuss with school.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I go along with Petlew, on this.... if you suspect that they are doing drugs, either smoking, or dealing, then it is your responsibility to inform the police...by doing that, you immediately put yourself "in their good books" and if you were to be pulled over at some later date and tested..... you would have the report to the police to back up your innocence.  Those stupid anti-socialite passengers, are not only putting their lives at risk, but the rest of the bus passengers, who are not taking the drugs, like you are inhaling the smoke, and can suffer (?) the effects, in the same way as if they were actually smoking the stuff...
You have already "reported" it on this forum, which is a public forum, and you can point this out to the police to, as back up... the sooner you "spread the word" including the college the better...  delaying it for whatever reason will only jeopardise your job... you should also report it to your superiors, and if necessary, ask for another route, for a couple of weeks, and get the police to do a "random stop" whilst you are on the other route... By removing yourself from the route, you should be less likely to be accused of being a nark, with possible consequences.. ...
Community Veteran

A paragraph from my schools transport page:
:
Always behave sensibly and show consideration for
other students and
members of the public. If you do not follow these g
uidelines, your behaviour will be
reported to your Headteacher, and it may result in
your transport being withdrawn. If you
cause damage to the vehicle or other property, you
or your parents will be liable for any
costs incurred and may be liable to prosecution. Th
erefore, please show consideration for
others, help keep the vehicle safe and in good cond
ition and enjoy your travel.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It would be easier if they smoked it on the bus, but they are either rolling or repackaging for dealing.
The security is the one run by the college.
The college has many rules which are all studiously ignored ( therefore NO adverse reports, no expulsions,100% record for behavior).
My company is notorious for 'rolling over' and not backing up their drivers.  So I need to be watertight on this.
I think a call to the police may be in order.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You might suggest that the police install miniature cctv cameras on the bus, so that you are not directly associated with the "snatch" , should they decide on a "stop and search" operation... with the cctv evidence, they could "interview" the "usual suspects" away from the bus in the privacy of their own homes, which would involve the parents.... Mention to them that you are not confident that the management would support you, and you need their "protection" from all sides !..
Community Veteran

Having just re-read your OP doris barloff, you are clearly distressed about this, if you have tried all avenues open to you I suspect you have little choice but to get help from the Police. I'm extremely surprised your employer is taking so little notice of you and "rolling over" its in their interests as much as anybody's to get this sorted out ASAP.
I do however repeat, in the first instance it is the school/college responsibility. Is it a contract service with the college or just a standard local route used by students? if its the former they are responsible from the moment the student steps on the bus. Inform a senior member of staff <preferably the head> and tell them that you will inform the Police if they ignore you, they are unlikely to want that. Tell your company that is what you are doing, they may get twitchy and take it out of your hands all together, your employer has a duty of care to you as well, it won't do any harm to remind them. Keep diary notes of everything.
As a pedant point, in your OP (and I've never had any use of drugs but did come into contact with them in airport security) Shunk is not smoked but chewed to release its properties. It is not considered a particularly high risk, indeed we used to see bag loads of it ignored by customs being carried by out-going passengers.

Infinity
Pro

If the police did a random "Stop & Search" would it be a Drugs BUSt ?
Community Veteran

The most potentially serious incident I have had on my coach was when a teen aged student thought it good fun to try and attract my attention by shining a laser pointer at my inside mirror (only used for viewing activity inside the coach not outside) or at the driver of a following coach. Fortunately I spotted who it was, confiscated his travel card (which had his I/D and photo on it of course) and handed it in with a report to the school the next day.
He was barred from travelling on buses for a month, his parents were informed and had to ferry him to and from school, depositing and collecting him from the school office daily, at apparently great inconvenience to themselves. Others have hinted that they were horrified and less than pleased with their offspring. Loss of use of the buses for even a short time can have far reaching effects it seems for some who normally rely on them.
The student apologised to me (I don't know if that was ordered as part of the "punishment") and has since become a model passenger, and really quite friendly.

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
As a pedant point, in your OP (and I've never had any use of drugs but did come into contact with them in airport security) Shunk is not smoked but chewed to release its properties. It is not considered a particularly high risk, indeed we used to see bag loads of it ignored by customs being carried by out-going passengers.

Skunk is smoked and is very strong. That's why it stinks so much and why it's called skunk. As to high risk, perhaps this might change your mind.
Community Veteran

We used to take skunk carrying passengers to the Customs airside desk fairly regularly. Its entirely possible that dealing with them at this end was more trouble than it was worth and let the arrival authorities deal with when they arrive at their destination.
We did ask "tame" customs staff why there was no apparent interest in skunk, and usually got a shrug of the shoulders with a "its hardly drugs is it" comment. Its quite common in some Caribbean countries and parts of Africa.

Community Veteran

We trained our German Shepherd Dog to alert us when Cannabis was bought into the house by our son, He is respectable and married now. The downside was the GSD would also "point" at the pockets of strangers who were carrying the herb. Scared a few people who looked embarassed when we explained what was  going on.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
We used to take skunk carrying passengers to the Customs airside desk fairly regularly.

I apologise, I have misled you. it was khat that we took to Customs not skunk.
Memory playing tricks I'm sorry to say. The reminder was prompted by khat coming up in the BBC London news today, khat (which is chewed not smoked) has been reclassified as a class C drug.