cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drugs Bust

Hero
Fixes: 47

Re: Drugs Bust

@Champnet Would that not be your external IP?

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I don't think so, just your external IP when you visit sites. It is not 100% accurate, but it can identify the range and who your ISP is.

Unless you are using a dodgy app, or have one installed which uses an API on your machine to transmit information.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

I was thinking about the MAC address, I’ll post more of the puzzle in the morning....

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

I don't think so, the MAC address is just the serial number of the NIC on your device (Network Interface Card). The router puts something in the packets, so it knows what device to route it back to. That's why we can all use the internet on multiple devices at home with no problem.

You could be right, I am not sure. I can ask a good friend of mine who is a sysadmin who will know this.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With IPv4 the number can only go back as far as your router if some external force wanted to trace things, but IPv6 will go all the way to the computer or device, so no hiding there for people doing bad things...

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

@Alex True, but my original comment was about laptops, I don’t think many owners would change the NIC.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The mac address doesn't make it out onto the internet but just keep in mind there is nothing to stop the firmware of your router recording the mac addresses and then forwarding them to an external server.

It's quite plausible that plusnet know all of our mac addresses.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

Reading a Court case in the local paper. An alledged Paedophile used his laptop in public places using public internet access. Police obtained details of his activities from a local coffee shop and were able to identify the laptop.
Assumptions :
Coffee shop issued a DHCP generated IP address to the laptop therefore recording the MAC address. Coffee shop was using an activity recorder probably on a proxy server. Visited dodgy sites were flagged and investigated. Details were passed on to the Police could trace the MAC address back to the manufacturer who could state make & model, (next bit is guess work) also where it was sold and to whom.

Details now get murky :Police were able to arrest suspect when he used the laptop at his home address.

@7up  maybe right when he says "It's quite plausible that plusnet know all of our mac addresses."

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'd go so far as ti say it's probable actually.

Governments and companies like to collect as much information about us as possible these days. Therefore it's quite likely that the ISPs switched to issuing their own routers which gives them this tactical advantage of collecting MACs. On that basis your friends / contacts may also be traced - if you let them use your wifi. Nobody can ever really be sure what is going from the router down the phone line as it's not exactly easy to intercept - you can't use wireshark on phone line connection (afaik).

I seem to recall sky don't give out username / password combos and thus force users to use the supplied router. That's very advantageous isn't it.

Years ago the governments of the world didn't really seem interested in peoples computers other than their own. Now they've clocked on that info is power and they want to know everything. I suspect that unofficially GCHQ have mac addresses of every device used in the UK on various ISPs.

The only real way to ever be annonymous online is a prepay mobile connection (paid for at a shop with no CCTV obviously - that or you buy the voucher and wait as long as possible until CCTV footage is wiped). Even then if you wanted to connect a laptop etc you'd still need to make sure you don't connect that to any other network where the mac could be recorded. It would be a lot of effort to stay truly annonymous these days and given that the most folks are law abiding decent people, i fail to see the point of even bothering.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Or use a vpn ?

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion

A VPN may be safer but I don’t believe it’s entirely safe.

Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

Surely if the Government were that interested in collecting this sort of information they would have encouraged if not required ISPs to enforce the use of IPv6 to make it easier for them.