Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drugs Bust

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Drugs Bust

The police have arrested hundreds of drug barons following information from the french who have managed to access phone messages that were regarded as safe by criminals due to the encryption system used.

Despite uncovering millions of pounds of money and goods which clearly indicate guilt those representing these criminals are already claiming the information obtained by tapping phones was illegal.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

No references given as there is plenty about it on the BBC news.

As a side issue I wonder if any Encription system is safe despite claims made by some.

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Drugs Bust

I’ve always believed that encryption was better than no encryption, but I’ve also believed that encryption systems can be cracked. 

Hero
Fixes: 9

We might need to go back to the Enigma machines.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 47

@Champnet wrote:

I’ve always believed that encryption was better than no encryption, but I’ve also believed that encryption systems can be cracked. 

Agreed, @Champnet , any system can be cracked - after all, they have to have a structure, however complex, and if you can determine that, you can deconstruct it.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Encyption can be, the old brute force attacks is one.

Also, I used to run a small forum. I was bored and actually found a site that can decypt MD5 encryption. Which revealed peoples passwords. So you only had to go to the underlying database, copy and paste the encrypted password and there you go. This is going back around 5-6 years ago.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just get a 11 year old kid to pass on messages, they talk so much gibberish these days that it's hard to decipher what th heck they're talking about, with their stans, simps and karens...

Highlighted
Community Veteran

So does the same apply to vpn services or is that a completely different thing ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

@Jonpe wrote:

We might need to go back to the Enigma machines.

If you want to.... you can... !   ..

http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/en/kl-7sim.htm

this is an excellent reproduction of the machine we used in the Navy... the sound effects are very realistic, and it does encrypt and decrypt in exactly the same way...

(all you have to do is figure out how to do it all ! ! ! ) .

Have fun....

Highlighted
Pro

One of the successful raids was in the posh village linked to ours.   (Average house prices there are 4 times ours.) 

front.jpg

Not at all like the places you see being raided on the TV!

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Key thing with encryption is that it's designed to be decrypted. IF you know how it works or can gather enough segments that make sense you can crack it. 

As for tapping phones, i heard on the news that it was actually cracked by a european intelligence agency who then provided the access to the system / data to the UK police. Just shows.. the press are like chinese whispers...

Lets face it though.. all these intelligence services, under cover officers etc.. I suspect the entire thing was set up by law enforcers in the first place so that crims would start using it - and could then be monitored. Let it grow, when it reaches maximum entropy and new users hit a record low... go and bust em.

Of course no intelligence service is going to own up to that, so instead they "cracked the code" rather than admit to laying the bait. One thing history has taught us is that the UK is incredibly good with trickery - just look up operation mincemeat and the sheer effort and planning that went into it to fool the germans.

I wonder how many people have signed up to these privacy protecting VPN services? - where ALL their traffic deliberately goes through one server and can be monitored by a government that isn't quite so proud as ours when it comes to data protection..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@gleneagles 

VPN is where data is routed through a channel that is usually different from your normal ISP channel. All the ISP would see is the single IP address of the VPN server you are connected so so your browsing is/should be private. A lot of VPN providers also encrypt this data traffic as well, so doubly secure. Supposedly.

However, this bunch of reprobates had developed an app called Encrochat which they sold already installed on "special mobile phones" which were highly expensive of course. The app is very similar to WhatsApp. All it did was to encrypt the data between those dedicated phones, and it was vulnerable to being hacked, which is what the French police did.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I suspect everything can be hacked, even more so if you have a supercomputer at hand. Most 'advanced' governments do. After all, it might make headlines saying it did this or that (usually scientific of some origin) but I'd be surprised if that is all they do. Such devices don't come cheap and would be up, running 24/7/365. And as such, feed it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I recall some years ago the case of an American who was selling secrets to Russia, when they eventually caught him one person commented that had they looked in the car park and asked how he could afford the type of car he had on his income he might have been caught much sooner.

Ok it’s a simplistic statement but why do the authorities not check on people who appear to have no job yet live a very expensive lifestyle...sure the majority are likely genuine but as this drug bust shows some are not ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I know a bit about mobiles.

The IMSI (serial number of the SIM) and IMEI (serial number of the device you're using) are transmitted when the device tries to log on. So if the handset is blacklisted (IMEI check will fail) or the account is not in good standing order the (IMSI check will fail).

Some countries make it mandatory to register a pay as you SIM - of course there are ways around it, like anything else. I am suprised it doesn't come into effect here.

Also the network does a Ki number challenge to the SIM, which is only known by the network to stop SIM's being cloned.

When I went to Australia, Sydney in 2005 (cor that long ago feels like a few years ago!). I decided to get a local PAYG SIM when I was leaving the aiport. They took my passport details down (fine). So I said "How much?", they replied $30, with $30 credit. Of course credit is relative to how much it costs.

When I got our the the airport and there:

Me: "I can't beleve I am really here".
Friend: "Well, you're going to believe it in a moment".

I wondered what he meant, and I saw the opera house and harbour bridge. Wow I am thinking.

I made a 10 minute call to the UK from the PAYG SIM just to say I've got here and I am safe, as you do. It was a bargain (something like AUD $4).

Best holiday I've had and would like to go back.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@Alex  Is there similar ID type on a laptop that get transmitted when using the Internet ?