cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drug availability...

Fixes: 125

Drug availability...

BBC news has been carrying a story all morning in relation to Abiraterone being too expensive to be given earlier on for the treatment of prostate cancer. Abiraterone
Forgive me if I'm over-simplifying things a bit but if more people were prescribed the drug wouldn't the cost start to come down?
According to Drug Watch the top 11 pharmaceutical companies made $85B profit in 2012!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Drug availability...

Price will go down if there's competition, oo wait no competition because of patents.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

according to the article in the Times (paywalled0 http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4176604.ece
The treatment, which costs £2,930 for a 30-day course, fell foul of the NICE cost-benefit rules after consultation.
If that is correct the ruling is really stupid
Community Veteran

I'm not an advocate for the drug companies but they do have to invest a lot of money in a drug before it can come to market.
Some drugs can take 10 years from the time they start developing them to the time they are approved for use. In addition for every drug that is successful there are 10 that are not and this research has to be paid for.
Abiraterone is used in England after chemotherapy. I understand the problem is funding it before chemo.
In fairness Abiraterone is currently available in England before chemo from a special cancer fund set up by David Cameron. This fund runs out in 2016. I understand after this date the fund will be reviewed and could be extended further.
Community Veteran

The drug is already available for prostate cancer suffers post-chemotherapy and is recommended by NICE.
The new guidance looked at the drug being used to delay when chemotherapy is started, but it's important to know that chemotherapy will still have to be given. The drug does not kill or remove the cancer, it just delays its progression.