cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drowned Rat

geewizz
Grafter

Drowned Rat

What a stinker of a day that was. I was out there for 11 hours in the power shower that is Scotland's summer and even my waterproofs couildn't stop me getting soaked to the skin. when I got in the door I had planned to strip off all my wet and muddy clothes in the hallway, thinking that I would get down to my boxers. I ended up taking them off too because for some bizarre reason even they were drenched and muddy. I don't remember being in any position today where I could have had mud sliding down the inside of my top or up my trouser legs.
I'm building a playhouse, in the form of a castle, on a steep slope. The front sits on huge stilts and I haven't built the steps which lead up to it yet so my only access is up a precipitous muddy slope. Most of the surface is clay which means that when the rain comes down it gets wet and turns into something that Eddie The Eagle would be more comfortable on. If it's still raining tomorrow morning then I'm going to tie a couple of planks to my shoes and have a go at ski jumping.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Drowned Rat

Having completed an 11 mile hike in shorts and tee shirt (no rain and a bit of sun in the afternoon) - all I can say is we get all the best weather in the sunny south.  Grin Grin
geewizz
Grafter

I'll be coming down to join you soon. Smiley It's definitely warmer and drier down south and I'm moving right to the bottom of the country in a couple of months.
Your hiking activities sound idyllic. Was this a bit of hill climbing or did you get dragged round the shops by your wife?
Community Veteran

Quote from: geewizz
I'm building a playhouse, in the form of a castle, on a steep slope. The front sits on huge stilts and I haven't built the steps which lead up to it yet so my only access is up a precipitous muddy slope.

I will look forward to seeing that on Grand Designs  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I walk with the Ramblers' Association twice a week (Sunday and Wednesday) about 10 to 12 miles each day although I have been known to go up to 14 miles. I also lead walks as well which normally involves a couple of reconnoitres so adding another few miles onto the weekly total.
The walks are in the lovely countryside in Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire.
geewizz
Grafter

@ Santiago
I'll save you the hassle of waiting for Grand Designs to film this and I'll post a couple of pics on these forums .... when the rain lets up and I get a chance to finish it.
@ Jim
I'm going to have to get involved in something like that when I move south. I'm looking forward to being able to get along to the west of Hampshire which is as far as I've managed to explore so far.  I don't know if I'll manage over 20 miles a week though because I already walk a fair distance during a working day, mostly looking for tools I've left somewhere on site.
Community Veteran

I was in France yesterday (just outside Paris) and the weather was even hotter and sunnier - about 31ºC and constant blazing sunlight. The nice thing is though that French houses have shutters so we (that is, me and the friend I was with) just stayed indoors and kept them closed all day, to help keep us as cool as possible.
geewizz
Grafter

I've managed to put together a few photos of the work in progress. It's still at the bare bones stage but you'll get an idea of the problems I had with mud and access. I brought some ladders into play today now that the front is solid.
www.philgeddes.co.uk/v1.html
Community Veteran

Good Job!
See what you mean about the mud.
Thank you for posting the pics...painted a thousand words etc.
geewizz
Grafter

Thanks, Santiago. Smiley
I didn't get far with it today because of the rain. The rain meant that I had to do an emergency run with a gazebo thingy for the gig we're doing tonight. We're playing in a garden and I think we might get washed away if it stays like this. The fun will be in trying to avoid getting electrocuted while standing in the middle of all the amps and cables.A cloth gazebo isn't much protection.
Sad
I'll post some more pics when I finish the playhouse. (Assuming I survive tonight.)
Community Veteran

Rather you than me! Electricity and rain don't go together very well.
It has poured down here all day.
I have been walking a dog for some friends for the last few weeks and tonight, despite wearing the all weather gear, I got soaked to the skin. (Need to get my coat reproofed)
Funny I didn't see any body else while I was out!
Might have been the rain or maybe they were all at your gig  Roll eyes
Look forward to the finished pics.
geewizz
Grafter

I survived and live to sing another day! Smiley
There was one point where there was some unscheduled smoke on stage but it only affected the lighting rig. A massive downpour arrived just as we started an encore so it had to be shortened.I think the highlight tonight was when I fetched a child's rocking horse from the garden and rode it onto the stage and straight into a rendition of Rawhide. I must see if I can find anyone who took a photo of that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: geewizz
I think the highlight tonight was when I fetched a child's rocking horse from the garden and rode it onto the stage and straight into a rendition of Rawhide.

Hmm.... sounds like the drugs do work then Lips are sealed
geewizz
Grafter

I've decided to start building an ark now.
geewizz
Grafter

I promised pics of the finished playhouse and I'm here to deliver Smiley
www.philgeddes.co.uk/v1.html