Drought Warning

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Drought Warning

9 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Drought Warning

the idea of pumping water down South is already done by my Water Board.  we are the driest part of the UK
The Great Ouse water is pumped from the Denver sluice just before it goes out to sea in the wash, it comes down to Essex via pumped and river, that is why this area is at Medium risk, our reservoirs are nearly full
Community Veteran

Is the problem really an unusual lack of water or is it down to the vastly increased population density? Seems to me that the reservoirs fill up ok but they drain at a far greater rate than they used to.
With such a high percentage of Europes roving work force heading here, maybe we should ask them all to bring a couple of bottles of water with them. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I still find it strange that we're surrounded by so much of the stuff and we have so little in the way of supplies.
The USA manage better than us and they're living mostly on sand!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Like many others on this forum I live in the one of the dries areas in England and the local water board does a very good job in water management so would not agree that we have little in ways of supply.
Regarding the USA they have plenty of water, you just need to look at this table of river discharges. North America have several rivers listed unlike Europe that I believe only have 2.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Amazing ! It's not like we live in a big country but the situation between various parts of the country regarding water levels is dramatic.
In Lancashire we have 147% of normal levels of water & the same applies in Cumbria, no doubt some parts of Scotland are even higher.
Community Veteran

This could all be resolved by a bit of planning. There is a host of spare valleys in Wales which could be flooded to provide water storage for London. This type of scheme worked well in Llyn Celyn. A few families had to move, but Liverpool gained. Now the steel works have gone there is plenty of spare water. Constructing the dams would provide employment for the locals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Bet the Welsh would love you for suggesting their spare valleys could be flooded !
Community Veteran

An extra few large reservoirs would improve their chances of winning in the Olympics sailing championships. There'd be no problem letting them use our water for that type of thing.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

As a Whitewater kayaker  I know Lyn Celyn very well. Back in the early 2000's, maybe 2004, it was nearly drained. Could see some of the buildings. It got low I believe for one main reason they were releasing water into Bala Lake to try a bring the water temperature down to kill the blue/green algae. Leaflets were handed out stating that because of Global warming it will take a couple of years for it to be full again and maybe they should look at pumping water up from Bala lake. Bala lake has a larger catchment area but is not very deep.
Lyn Celyn was back to normal levels by the end of the year.