Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drought 2019

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drought 2019

Low reservoirs water levels early this year...

Wayoh Reservoir, is a water reservoir in the town of Edgworth, Lancashire, England.

It was completed on April 28, 1876 to supply water to Bolton that is normally full to the brim with enough water to supply half of Bolton, is nearly empty after dry spring brings less than half the usual amount of rain (and it's only May)

A spokesman for United Utilities, the North West's water company, said: 'Like everywhere in the UK, it's been fairly dry and some reservoirs are slightly lower than usual for the time of year.

'Here in the North West, we can move water around our regionwide network and this helps us manage our resources for the benefit of our customers and the environment.

'We always encourage people to use water wisely whatever the weather.'

Together with the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir, Wayoh makes up 50% of Bolton's drinking water.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7082087/Reservoir-normally-brim-verge-drying-up.html

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Drought 2019

Makes me sad when people complain about it raining - fresh water is the most scarce commodity on the planet, only about 2.5% of all water on earth is fresh and only about 1% is accessible ( not locked up in glaciers etc.)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the great Drought of 2018, we were just one week away from a hosepipe ban....then the heavens opened.

And many householders appear to have been listening to advice from United Utilities, and water usage was down.

But... we did have horrendous Moorland Fires, as widely reported.

https://community.plus.net/t5/General-Chat/June-2018-Hot-Stuff-July-August-too/m-p/1555690#M246448

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I remember the good old 1976 drought. Now that was a drought. Didn't stop us fishing on the River Thames though. I do know the end of the drought was lots of flooding etc. All good fun! Seems 1995 is suppose to be the driest so far.

But since then, over the years, there has been a lot of the investment by water companies on distributing pipework to move the water around the regions. Now if they all got on top of the leakage problem..............

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@wotsup wrote:

Makes me sad when people complain about it raining - fresh water is the most scarce commodity on the planet, only about 2.5% of all water on earth is fresh and only about 1% is accessible ( not locked up in glaciers etc.)

For once I agree with @wotsup! though liking a long soak, but not every day, being retired and not travelling in sweaty transport. What gets my goat are broke mains flooding a street for days before repair.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.